PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Snow may be falling on the first day of spring, but warmer weather is right around the corner. The change in season is the perfect reminder to weatherize your home to ensure it is as energy efficient as possible, saving energy and money.
Here are some easy steps customers can take to make a difference:
- Keep it sealed: Inspect the caulking or weather stripping around windows, doors and any openings for utility services. A drafty house lets cool air escape and is much more costly to keep cool – especially during warmer weather.
- Clear the air: Replacing your old central air conditioner with a new ENERGY STAR®-qualified model can reduce your cooling costs by as much as 30 percent. Change your filter regularly to ensure optimal performance.
- Upgrade your insulation: Insulating your home can significantly reduce your heating and cooling costs, while increasing the comfort of your home in both hot and cold weather.
- Consider the benefits of yard work. Proper selection and placement of trees, shrubs, and vines adds attractiveness and also helps lower the heating and cooling needs of a home.
PECO encourages customers to always put safety first. Customers are reminded to dial 811 at least three days before digging to ensure the area is safe for planting.
Here are a few tips to help you stay cool when the summer heat is on!
- Manage your thermostat: Keep thermostats set at a constant, comfortable level. Just by raising your thermostat from 72 to 78 degrees, you could save up to 6 percent off your cooling bills.
- Stay shaded: If possible, keep your room air conditioner out of the sun. Room air conditioners work best when kept cool. Close blinds, drapes and shades during the hottest part of the day. This keeps the strong sunlight from heating your home.
- Be a fan: Consider installing a ceiling fan. During warmer weather a ceiling fan will create a cool breeze and keep the air circulating in your home.
- Cool the kitchen: Instead of using your oven or stove in warmer weather, which can generate more heat, fire up the outdoor grill for cooking. You also can use your microwave or other countertop appliances in place of the stove or oven.
Looking for even more ways to save energy and money? With PECO Smart House Call, we’ll send an energy advisor to your home, provide a personal energy assessment and offer energy-efficient upgrades on the spot. By identifying energy-efficiency opportunities around your home, you could save up to 20 percent on your monthly energy bill. Learn more at peco.com/smartideas or call 1-888-5PECO-SAVE.
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). PECO serves 1.6 million electric and more than 506,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania and employs about 2,400 people in the region. PECO delivered 89.9 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 37.5 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in 2014. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations. For more information visit PECO.com, and connect with the company on Facebook and Twitter.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via email, please send your email address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com.