OLDWICK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In this A.M.BestTV episode from the recent SIFMA Insurance and Risk-Linked Securities Conference, held in New York, NY, industry leaders stressed that the rapid growth of the insurance linked-securities (ILS) industry poses challenges to traditional reinsurance and expands opportunities for primary writers.
The hot topic among the almost 500 attendees was continued growth in the market.
“The direction of risk spreads, premiums and the amount of the limit that will be placed upon the market over the next year, are all growth concerns,” said Bill Dubinsky, managing director & head of ILS at Willis Capital Markets & Advisory. “However, investors are also competing with each other with new ideas and ways of taking risks, in other words, innovations that will allow them to reach new sponsors.”
A.M. Best Vice President Robert DeRose addressed the challenges that the ILS and the traditional markets are facing. “The fact that pricing is coming down allows the ILS market to price more competitively; nevertheless, the ILS market is facing the same pressures as the traditional market.”
Other people who appear in this episode include:
- Ross Webber, chief executive officer, Bermuda Business Development Agency;
- Paul Schultz, chief executive officer, Aon Benfield Securities;
- Chi Hum, managing director, GC Securities; and,
- Michael Demetre, chief risk officer, Allstate Protection.
Click here to view the entire video program: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=sifma315.
Recent episodes of A.M.BestTV include:
- ‘First Monday’ Review & Preview: Global Reinsurance Market in Midst of Mergers and Acquisitions Wave: A.M. Best Vice President Robert DeRose, Managing Senior Financial Analyst Greg Reisner and Senior Financial Analyst Mariza Costa focus on the growing trend of mergers and acquisitions in the global reinsurance sector as market conditions continue to stifle organic growth: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=fmreinsurance315.
- ‘First Monday’ Review & Preview: U.S. Health Insurers Adjust to New Industry Norms Post-Reform: A.M. Best Assistant Vice President Joseph Zazzera and Senior Financial Analyst Bridget Maehr discuss how health writers navigated the key health reform provisions that began in 2014: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=fmhealth315.
- ‘First Monday’ Review & Preview: U.S. Life/Annuity Industry Navigating Obstacles to Growth: A.M. Best Vice President Stephen Irwin and Assistant Vice President Rosemarie Mirabella highlight key growth opportunities in the life/annuity sector as well as in the U.S. retirement market:
- ‘First Monday’ Review & Preview: Overarching Issues Threaten Positive Results in U.S. Property/Casualty Sector: A.M. Best Group Vice President Anthony Diodato highlights positives in the P/C sector, including a second straight year of underwriting profitability:
A.M.BestTV covers exclusive A.M. Best information and reports, targeted topics and key developments in the (re)insurance industry every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Sign up for alerts of episodes at http://www.ambest.com/multimedia/ambtvsignup.html. View A.M.BestTV episodes at http://www.ambest.tv.
A.M. Best Company is the world’s oldest and most authoritative insurance rating and information source. For more information, visit www.ambest.com.
Copyright © 2015 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.