LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Triton Digital, a leading technology provider for the audio industry, today unveiled its monthly Ranker for December 2014, providing insights into listening trends measured by the Webcast Metrics® audience measurement platform. Taking a look back at audio streaming trends in 2014, overall streaming reached an all-time high with a 31.7 percent increase in Average Active Sessions (AAS) from Q1 2014 to Q4 2014. Mobile listening in particular saw impressive year-over-year growth, with AAS up by 47.5 percent. Despite a decline of 17.9 percent during the week of Christmas compared to the three weeks prior, overall listening was up in December 2014 compared to December 2013.
“While it was interesting to see the dramatic disruption in listening during Christmas, the general trend for streaming audio continues to be a positive one,” said Rob Favre, CCO/GM Measurement & Analytics at Triton Digital. “Mobile listening truly shined in our December 2014 numbers, with strong growth year over year, and very little disruption over the holidays.”
2014 Insights & Trends include:
- In 2014, overall streaming reached an all-time high and grew steadily quarter over quarter. AAS within the Domestic U.S. grew 31.7 percent from Q1 2014 to Q4 2014 in the Monday-Friday 6:00 AM-8:00 PM daypart, and 34.7 percent in the Monday-Sunday 6:00 AM-Midnight daypart.
AAS on mobile increased by 47.5 percent (M-F 6A-8P), while desktop
declined by 4.2 percent.
- Pureplay streams saw a 49.5 percent increase in mobile AAS, while broadcast streams grew by 13.5 percent.
Specifically in the December 2014 Ranker, key findings include:
- AAS for all measured clients reached 3,889,118 within the Domestic U.S. during the Monday-Friday 6:00AM-8:00PM daypart, and 3,319,676 during the Monday-Sunday 6:00AM-Midnight daypart in December 2014.
Overall AAS declined 17.9 percent (M-F 6A-8P) during the week of
Christmas when compared to the three weeks prior.
- Mobile listening only declined by 2.0 percent while desktop dropped 43.1 percent.
- Pureplay listening was down 12.6 percent while broadcast declined by 52.9 percent.
- In terms of devices used for consuming streaming audio, 37.0 percent (M-F 6A-8P) of all listening took place on an iOS device, followed by Android at 30.0 percent, Flash Player at 9.0 percent, and Google Chrome at 7.0 percent.
Full results of the December 2014 Ranker can be found here: http://www.tritondigital.com/press-releases/triton-digital-releases-december-2014-top-20-ranker
Triton Digital’s Monthly Ranker is a listing of its top 20 clients’ digital audio stations and networks measured by the Media Rating Council (MRC) accredited Webcast Metrics® audience measurement platform. Webcast Metrics uses a proprietary platform to track audience data and convert it to audience metrics that can be easily understood by stations, publishers and advertisers. Unlike other measurement solutions, Triton’s Webcast Metrics’ information is based on census data, rather than consumer surveys, providing the most accurate information.
About Triton Digital
Triton Digital’s® (http://tritondigital.com) technology has connected audio supply to advertising demand since 2006, providing the technical backbone for the digital audio marketplace. The company’s innovative technology enables both live and on-demand publishers to build audience and revenue globally. As a pioneer in the space, Triton Digital has made that audience available programmatically for the first time, maximizing audience buying efficiency for advertisers across the world.