MINNETONKA, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Medica Foundation in 2014 made $1.4 million in grants to 99 nonprofit organizations throughout Medica’s service area, which includes Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and western Wisconsin.
“The Medica Foundation funds community-based programs that support the diverse health care needs of our customers and the greater community,” said JoAnn Birkholz, director of the Medica Foundation. “Each year we identify the areas of greatest need, and we are delighted in 2014 to award grants to fund programs that support the health of the communities we serve.”
The funding priorities for the Medica Foundation in 2014 included community and statewide projects that address gaps in the following areas:
- Alzheimer’s Disease – supports ACT on Alzheimer’s - a statewide collaboration to prepare Minnesota for the impacts of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias and build community capacity to address health issues locally.
- Behavioral Health – supports programs that address gaps in current services, integrate physical and mental health and provide supportive and intensive case management services
- Early Childhood Health – supports programs that focus on healthy families to foster optimal growth and development of young children.
- General Health Improvement – supports community based health initiatives.
- Health Care Coverage for Uninsured – expand capacity at Portico Healthnet to serve as a primary health navigator for uninsured vulnerable populations.
- Organizational Core Mission Support – provides grants to support health-related programming for organizations in the regional and rural areas of Medica’s service area.
More information about grants in these areas is available on the Medica Foundation website.
About the Medica Foundation
The Medica Foundation is a nonprofit, charitable grant-making foundation. It is an affiliate of Medica Health Plans, a Minnesota-based nonprofit HMO. The Medica Foundation generally seeks to fund community-based programs and initiatives that can provide sustainable, measurable improvements in the availability, access and quality of healthcare. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Phone: 952/992-2060.
Medica is a health services company headquartered in Minneapolis and active in the Upper Midwest. With approximately 1.5 million members, the non-profit company provides health care coverage in the employer, individual, Medicaid, Medicare and Medicare Part D markets in Minnesota and a growing number of counties in North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. Medica also offers national network coverage to employers who also have employees outside the Medica regional network.
Medica’s vision is to become the community’s health plan of choice, trusted for its integrity, respected for its service, and admired for its commitment to innovation and efficiency.