NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Opening Ceremony and Intel today took the wraps off the complete features of MICA, My Intelligent Communication Accessory, the smart and fashionable luxury accessory that truly redefines the concept of wearable technology. MICA is a beautiful and intelligent bracelet that provides today’s highly connected woman with access to text messages, Yelp, Gmail** notifications, Facebook events and Google Calendar** through discreet notifications delivered directly to the wrist.
The feminine communications accessory will be available by early December in the United States and will retail exclusively at Opening Ceremony New York and Los Angeles, select Barneys New York locations, and online at Openingceremony.us and Barneys.com.
“Our pioneering collaboration with Opening Ceremony and the introduction of this category-defining smart jewelry piece advances wearable technology as a distinctively stylish accessory that places importance on both aesthetics and functionality,” said Ayse Ildeniz, vice president and general manager for business development and strategy, New Devices Group at Intel Corporation. “MICA captures Intel’s philosophy that technology should enhance jewelry in order to make wearable technology truly ‘wantable,’ in addition to seamless and productive.”
“Today’s modern woman maintains selectivity and exclusivity when choosing accessories, and MICA embodies a beautifully unique statement piece,” said Humberto Leon, co-founder and creative director, Opening Ceremony. “The wearable space is an exciting, rapidly expanding category, and it has been a thrill to be involved in the convergence of fashion and technology through this collaboration with Intel.”
"Mobile technology really guides everything we do. The issue for many consumers on wearable technology lies in the fact that the devices typically are not attractive and are often times cumbersome,” said Daniella Vitale, chief operating officer and senior executive vice president, Barneys New York. “Opening Ceremony founders Carol and Humberto, along with Intel, had the prescience to create something functional but also beautiful and chic. We are excited to be the first on something that mirrors the Barneys strategy of a beautiful, exclusive and unique product!"
“MICA acts as an extension of a customer’s smartphone, for those times when it’s not convenient to carry with you,” said Chris Penrose, senior vice president, Internet of Things, AT&T. “It allows customers to receive texts and email notifications so that they can stay connected, while still wearing a fashionable jewelry piece to almost any occasion.”
MICA PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS:
Reflecting market research garnered from the Opening Ceremony community and influencers in the industry, Opening Ceremony and Intel developed the design, features and purpose of the MICA bracelet for the woman who is always on the go and enjoys being socially connected, and who has a deep appreciation for fashion. Via a touch-screen sapphire display, wearers can easily view content. Vibration-based alerts, a curated VIP contact list and customizable quick replies deliver notifications directly to the wrist – eliminating the need to fumble through a handbag or interrupt a meeting or event.
- Messaging: MICA provides access to text messages and notifications of incoming mails from “important contacts” as designated in Gmail. Users can dismiss notifications from the device and respond with customizable quick replies.
- Calendar and Event Notifications: MICA displays Google Calendar and Facebook event notifications while enabling users to accept or reject appointments.
- Personal Concierge: MICA offers intelligent reminders, “Time to Go” (TTG), powered by TomTom and Intel, that dynamically adjust based on location to account for the time required to get to the next appointment. MICA also provides users with access to Yelp local search, which includes business ratings and reviews. MICA wearers can use Yelp to locate restaurants, shops and other local businesses nearby.
- Priority Notifications: Users can curate a VIP contact list that filters notifications and text messages. Vibration-based alerts discreetly alert the wearer to incoming alerts.
- Design: Elevating the appearance of traditional wearable devices, MICA’s cutting-edge design is constructed of premium finishes and 18K gold coating with a curved sapphire glass touch screen display. One style features black water snake skin, pearls from China and lapis stones from Madagascar, while the other style features white water snake skin, tiger’s eye from South Africa and obsidian from Russia.
- Configuration and Security: The bracelet provides remote access and locking, the ability to locate the device, and configuration capabilities via a Web-based portal.
- Two-Year AT&T Data Service Paid by Intel: MICA is connected by AT&T and includes a two-year wireless service plan provided by Intel in the price of the bracelet.
Pricing, Availability and Additional Product Information
- Up to two days of battery life
- Micro-USB charging
- Available for sale only in the United States for $495
ABOUT OPENING CEREMONY
Opening Ceremony, a multifaceted international retailer and fashion brand, was founded in September 2002 in New York by Carol Lim and Humberto Leon— with the idea of bringing their love of travel and fashion to a concept boutique. The company has grown to encompass several retail outlets in New York, Los Angeles, London and Tokyo, and the Opening Ceremony ready-to-wear, accessories and footwear collections for men and women. Opening Ceremony has also become known for its myriad of innovative collaborations, including with style icon Chloë Sevigny and filmmaker Spike Jonze. The company operates a wholesale showroom in New York representing over 20 international and domestic brands.
ABOUT BARNEYS NEW YORK
BARNEYS NEW YORK (Barneys) is a luxury specialty retailer renowned for having the most discerning edit from the world’s top designers, including women’s and men’s ready-to-wear, accessories, shoes, jewelry, cosmetics, fragrances, and gifts for the home. Barneys' signature sense of wit and style is manifested in its creative advertising campaigns, original holiday themes, and celebrated window displays. Founded as a men's retailer in 1923 in downtown Manhattan, it became an international arbiter of high style for both women and men in the 1970s, renowned for discovering and developing new and innovative design talent. Today, Barneys New York operates flagship stores in New York City, Beverly Hills, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Scottsdale along with a preeminent luxury online store, Barneys.com, as well as 21 other stores and outlets across the United States. For more information about Barneys New York, please visit www.Barneys.com and explore its luxury content site, The Window, for an insider's look into the Barneys world: a behind-the-scenes visit with exciting designers, fashion, events, and the Barneys team.
Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) is a world leader in computing innovation. The company designs and builds the essential technologies that serve as the foundation for the world’s computing devices. As a leader in corporate responsibility and sustainability, Intel also manufactures the world’s first commercially available “conflict-free” microprocessors. Additional information about Intel is available at newsroom.intel.com and blogs.intel.com, and about Intel’s conflict-free efforts at conflictfree.intel.com.
Intel and the Intel logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
**Google, Gmail and Google Calendar are trademarks of Google Inc.