AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aspyr Media, in partnership with 2K and Firaxis Games, announced today that Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™ will be launching on Steam for both Mac and Linux and on Apple’s Mac App Store this holiday season. Mac and Linux users may pre-order a Steam code for the title at Aspyr’s online store GameAgent.com. All GameAgent pre-orders will include the Exoplanets Map Pack as a free bonus.
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth for Mac and Linux will retain the same features and gameplay as the Windows PC version, while also offering cross-platform multiplayer via Steam.
“The teams from Firaxis and 2K have done an astounding job of expanding on the core Civ experience in Beyond Earth,” said Aspyr Media’s Vice President of Publishing, Elizabeth Howard. “So, it’s exciting for us to be able to bring the same experience to Mac and Linux users everywhere.”
Mac and Linux users are encouraged to stay informed about the progress of the Mac and Linux releases by following the Civilization: Beyond Earth Mac and Linux Dev Diary series on blog.gameagent.com.
Aspyr Media has previously collaborated with Firaxis Games and 2K to bring other Sid Meier’s Civilization titles, including Sid Meier’s Civilization III, Sid Meier’s Civilization IV, and Sid Meier’s Civilization V to the Mac. Aspyr also released Sid Meier’s Civilization V on Linux earlier this year.
Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth will propel the development of human civilization beyond the traditional timeline of a Civilization game, by exploring humanity’s future on an alien world. For the first time, players will lead factions divided by contrasting cultures and evolve their new civilizations to reflect their chosen destiny. Players will experience an array of new gameplay possibilities, including nonlinear technological progression, deeper customization of chosen factions, and an entire alien world that will change the very identity of each faction based on their choices.
Key features of Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth include:
- Seed the Adventure: Players will establish a cultural identity, select a leader and sponsor an expedition by assembling the spacecraft, cargo and colonists through a series of choices that directly impact starting conditions when arriving on the new alien planet.
- Alien World: Exploring the benefits and dangers of a new planet filled with dangerous terrain, mystical resources and hostile lifeforms unlike those of Earth, players will build outposts, unearth ancient alien relics, tame new forms of life, develop flourishing cities and establish trade routes to create prosperity for their people.
- New Technology Web: Reflecting forward progress in an uncertain future, technology advancement will occur through a series of nonlinear choices that affect the development of mankind. The tech web is organized around three broad themes, each with a distinct victory condition.
- New Quest System: Quests are infused with fiction about the planet, and will help guide players through a series of side missions that will aid in the collection of resources, upgrading units, and advancing through the game.
- New Orbital Layer: Players will build and deploy advanced military, economic and scientific satellites that provide strategic offensive, defensive and support capabilities from orbit.
For more information on Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth please visit www.civilization.com. And to learn more about the game’s availability on Mac or Linux, follow us on Twitter (@AspyrMedia) and Facebook (/AspyrMedia).
Firaxis Games is a 2K studio. 2K is a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).
All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.
Founded in 2005, 2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming systems and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets, which are delivered through physical retail, digital download, online platforms and cloud streaming services. 2K publishes titles in today’s most popular gaming genres, including shooters, action, role-playing, strategy, sports, casual, and family entertainment. The 2K label has some of the most talented development studios in the world today, including Firaxis Games, Visual Concepts, 2K Marin, 2K Czech, 2K Australia, Cat Daddy Games and 2K China. 2K’s stable of high quality titles includes the critically acclaimed BioShock®, Borderlands™ and XCOM® franchises, the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization series, the popular WWE 2K franchise and NBA 2K, the #1 rated and #1 selling basketball franchise*. 2K is headquartered in Novato, California and is a wholly owned label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO). For more information, please visit www.2K.com.
*According to 2008 - 2014 Metacritic.com and The NPD Group estimates of U.S. retail video game sales through August 2014.
About Aspyr Media
Aspyr Media, Inc. is the leading publisher of Mac® games, bringing blockbuster gaming franchises including Call of Duty®, Sid Meier's Civilization®, Star Wars™, and Borderlands™ to Mac computers around the world. Headquartered in Austin, TX, Aspyr also develops and publishes interactive entertainment for Mobile, Linux, and Windows PC platforms. More information about Aspyr and its games may be found at www.aspyr.com. All marks and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.