KANSAS CITY, Mo. & LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BATS Global Markets (BATS) today reported September highlights including new market share records in both the U.S. and Europe.
In the U.S., BATS’ U.S. Options market share reached a record 5.8%, up from 5.3% in August and 4.1% one year ago. In Europe, BATS’ European trade reporting facility, BXTR, set a new record with 62.1% market share and more than €308.7bn reported.
Other September news includes:
- BATS Options set a one-day market share record of 6.6% on September 23rd. In September, BATS Options reported 12 of its top 20 market share days since launching in February 2010.
- BATS Chi-X Europe, with the support of issuers, market makers and brokers announced new initiatives designed to bring more transparency to the pan-European ETF market. The exchange also announced its partnership with the Berne Exchange, Switzerland, which will bring enhanced competition and efficiencies to the Swiss market – particularly in ETF listings and trade reporting.
- On September 8th, BATS released the BATS Order Type Guide, which describes the order types available on the BZX and BYX Exchanges in the U.S. and their functionality.
- In the U.S., BATS remains on schedule with the Direct Edge integration. During a customer integration call on September 9th, BATS announced the timeline for transitioning the BZX Exchange, BYX Exchange and BATS Options to Equinix’s NY5 data center in the second quarter of 2015. Information on the integration process, including a recording of the customer integration call and presentation slides, is available at bats.com/edgeintegration, and BATS also shares updates via its Twitter feed @BATSGlobal.
- As part of its ongoing Business Continuity Planning efforts, BATS successfully operated its U.S. operations from its disaster recovery site for the second time this year on September 4th to ensure preparation for any disaster situations that could impact the Kansas headquarters.
- BATS Global Markets was named by the Kansas City Business Journal as one of the “Best Places to Work” in Kansas City. This was the fourth year BATS has been recognized.
September 2014 Volume and Market Share Summary
|U.S. Equities (BATS Exchanges – BZX, BYX, EDGA, EDGX)||September 2014|
|Overall Industry – Average Daily Consolidated Volume||6.08 billion shares|
|BATS Exchanges – Matched Market Share||20.0%|
|BATS Exchanges – Average Daily Matched Volume||1.04 billion shares|
|U.S. Equity Options (BATS Options)|
|BATS Options – Matched Market Share||5.8%|
|BATS Options – Average Daily Matched Volume||983,019 contracts|
|European Equities (BATS Chi-X Europe)|
|Pan-European Consolidated Volume1 – Average Daily Notional Value||€37.8 billion|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Overall European Market Share||21.7%|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Total Notional Value Traded||€180.2 billion|
|BATS Chi-X Europe – Average Daily Notional Value||€8.2 billion|
|European Trade Reporting (BXTR)|
|BXTR – Total Notional Value Reported||€308.7 billion|
BXTR – Overall European Market Share
|BXTR – Average Daily Notional Value Reported||€14.0 billion|
1Based on BATS Chi-X Europe market coverage, available at www.batstrading.co.uk
Additional details regarding BATS’ volume and market share data by market – U.S. equities, U.S. equity options, and European equities – is outlined below.
U.S. Equities – BATS Exchanges Volume and Market Share Statistics
Market Quality Statistics
- During September, the BZX Exchange ranked 1st or 2nd in quality of trading in 71.8% of the stocks in the S&P 500® Index, as measured by effective spread, according to the BATS market quality statistics.
- Combined, the BZX Exchange and EDGX Exchange had the lowest effective spread in 15 of the top 25 exchange-traded products.
|BATS Exchanges (BZX, BYX, EDGA, EDGX) – Market Volume Summary, Volume, and Statistics|
|September 2014||September 20132|
|BATS Exchanges percentage of overall U.S. equities market share||20.0%||9.7%|
|Average daily volume (ADV) traded on BATS Exchanges||1.04 billion shares||594.4 million shares|
|Total industry volume||6.08 billion shares||6.14 million shares|
|Total notional value traded on BATS Exchanges||$1.04 trillion||$442.5 billion|
|Average daily notional value traded on BATS Exchanges||$49.6 billion||$22.1 billion|
|BATS overall market share – Tape A securities||18.0%||8.4%|
|BATS overall market share – Tape B securities||24.3%||13.4%|
|BATS overall market share – Tape C securities||21.0%||9.8%|
|BATS overall market share in ETF trading3||24.8%||13.9%|
|BATS 1000 Index monthly performance and close||
2BATS BZX and BYX Exchange data only
3Based on ArcaVision.com data
To track U.S. equities market share for all major trading exchanges and off-exchange trading, please view the BATS U.S. Equities Market Volume Summary.
U.S. Equity Options – BATS Options Volume and Market Share Statistics
- The five most actively-traded options classes on BATS Options during September were the Standard & Poor’s Depositary Receipt ETF Trust (SPY), Apple Inc. (APPL), Yahoo Inc. (YHOO), iShares Russell 2000 Index ETF (IWM), and PowerShares QQQ Trust, Series 1 ETF (QQQ).
|BATS Options Market Share and Volume|
|September 2014||September 2013|
|Contracts||Market share||Contracts||Market Share|
|Average daily matched volume||983,019||5.8%||637,119||4.1%|
To track U.S. options market share for all major trading exchanges, please view the BATS U.S. Options Market Volume Summary.
European Equities – BATS Chi-X Europe Volume and Market Share Statistics
To track European market share for all major trading exchanges and other venues, please view the BATS Pan-European Market Volume Summary.
BATS Chi-X Europe Market Share by Market 2
|September 2014||September 2013|
|(In millions, except percentages)|
|BATS Chi-X Europe overall market share||21.7%||23.4%|
|BATS Chi-X Europe Average daily notional value||€8,190.1||€7,909.2|
|Displayed average daily notional value||€7,381.2||€7,245.3|
|Non-displayed3 average daily notional value||€808.9||€663.9|
|London market overall||23.5%||27.0%|
|FTSE 100 securities||25.4%||30.3%|
|FTSE 250 securities||21.3%||21.6%|
|Nordic market overall||22.4%||27.1%|
|Helsinki OMXH25 securities||21.9%||27.3%|
|Stockholm OMXS30 securities||24.6%||29.8%|
|Copenhagen OMXC20 securities||21.3%||24.4%|
|Oslo OBX securities||21.5%||24.9%|
|Frankfurt market overall||26.5%||26.3%|
|DAX 30 securities||28.3%||28.1%|
|Zurich market overall||20.0%||24.3%|
|Paris market overall||23.4%||23.3%|
|CAC 40 securities||23.7%||24.4%|
|CAC Next20 securities||25.2%||22.0%|
|Brussels market overall||23.7%||23.2%|
|BEL 20 securities||23.3%||24.6%|
|Amsterdam market overall||20.7%||21.3%|
|Vienna market overall||16.4%||14.0%|
|Milan market overall||12.7%||11.3%|
|FTSE MIB securities||13.3%||11.9%|
|Madrid market overall||14.3%||12.2%|
|IBEX 35 securities||14.7%||12.8%|
|Lisbon market overall||9.1%||11.6%|
|Dublin market overall||6.6%||6.6%|
|ISEQ 20 securities||6.6%||6.6%|
|EUROSTOXX 50 securities||21.9%||22.5%|
2Represent consolidated figures for BXE and CXE lit and dark books, unless otherwise noted.
3BXE and CXE non-displayed order books.
About BATS Global Markets, Inc.
BATS Global Markets, Inc. is a leading global operator of securities markets, committed to Making Markets Better for traders, investors and issuers. In the U.S., BATS operates four stock exchanges – BZX, BYX, EDGX and EDGA – and regularly ranks as the top market for ETF and retail-driven liquidity. The company is an important listing venue for ETFs and other structured products and also operates BATS Options, a U.S. equity options market. In Europe, BATS operates the largest pan-European equities exchange, offering trading and listing services across 15 major European markets. With its world-class proprietary technology and relentless customer focus, BATS strives to bring efficiency, transparency and fairness to market participants. The company is headquartered in Kansas City with offices in Chicago, the New York area and London. Further information on BATS can be found at www.bats.com and by following us on Twitter @BATSGlobal.