NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The continued rise in healthcare costs in the United States has placed drug pricing under increased payer scrutiny. How to maintain a pipeline of novel and effective new treatments for patients without feeding healthcare cost inflation is challenging the industry. At The FDA/CMS Summit for Payers, the leading players in the healthcare ecosystem will tackle this hotly contested issue, and begin the critical dialogue leading to harmonizing individual interests for the benefit of patients.
The FDA/CMS Summit for Payers will be held in conjunction with 10th Annual FDA/CMS Summit for Biopharmaceutical Executives, December 11-12, 2014 at The Fairmont Hotel, Washington D.C.
Program highlights include:
- The high-price and extraordinary demand for Gilead’s Sovaldi, a new hepatitis C drug that sells for $1,000 a pill, or $84,000 for a typical course of treatment, has prompted calls from insurers and other health care stakeholders for action on specialty drug pricing. Industry leaders Chris Garabedian, Sarepta; David Beier, Bay City Capital; John McHutchison, Gilead; and Mark McClellan, Health Care Innovation and Value Initiative, Brookings Institution, will debate the contours of an effective public policy response.
- Janet Woodcock, Director, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, FDA will review the FDA’s priorities for 2015.
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) release of physician-level payment data is bringing unprecedented transparency to the federal government’s largest health care program. Niall Brennan, Acting Director, Office of Enterprise Management, CMS will discuss the analysis and crucial insights gained from this data, and what next steps may follow.
- Tamara Syrek-Jensen, Acting Director, Coverage & Analysis Group Office of Clinical Standards and Quality, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) in Medicare’s Part B and Part D groups will review priorities for 2015, including the evolution of coverage with evidence development and potential hot topics for coverage review.
- Karen Ignagni, President and CEO, America’s Health Insurance Plans will give a talk on “Pricing and Reimbursement – The Tipping Point in the Future of Healthcare”.
For more information about The FDA/CMS Summit for Payers, please visit: www.FDACMSSummitforPayers.com
About The FDA/CMS Summit for Payers
The FDA/CMS Summit for Payers will focus on how businesses can better interact with government to remain compliant, adaptive, and successful. The meeting will focus on relevant legislation, regulation, and accompanying guidelines, and will be composed of policy makers from FDA and CMS together with payers, providers and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Each stakeholder will discuss and share their perspective on how businesses and government can work together.