AMSTERDAM--(BUSINESS WIRE)--TomTom Telematics this month celebrates the 15th anniversary of WEBFLEET, its award-winning fleet management platform.
Launched in 1999, it has grown to become the most widely-adopted telematics SaaS platform in Europe, providing businesses with actionable insights into fleet operations.
Over the last 15 years, WEBFLEET has been used to improve mobile operations in every sector imaginable; transport and logistics, utilities, construction, meal delivery, breakdown assistance, car sharing schemes. WEBFLEET has tracked the movement of everything from space shuttles to portable toilets, from sports officials to exotic animals.
“Our client experience shows us that WEBFLEET today saves businesses around the world an estimated €80 million a month and 11.5 million litres of fuel every day,” said Thomas Schmidt, Managing Director, TomTom Telematics.
“The innovative approach to fleet management established 15 years ago remains as strong today and WEBFLEET continues to evolve, providing customers with ever smarter ways to achieve their business goals.”
WEBFLEET’s market-leading position was recently recognised by ABI Research, which named TomTom Telematics among the top three companies in the world for commercial vehicle telematics.
Notes to editors
WEBFLEET: a snapshot of continuous innovation
- WEBFLEET was launched in September 1999 as one of the very first web-based telematics interfaces, with plug and play in-vehicle hardware.
- WEBFLEET.connect, the open API, was introduced in 2004 to allow for seamless integration into existing business applications.
- The world’s first connected PND was launched in 2007, integrating with WEBFLEET to allow for two-way driver communication and navigation without the need for additional hardware in the vehicle.
- WEBFLEET reached new heights of innovation in 2009 with dashboard functionality, providing at-a-glance information for quick business decisions.
- TomTom Telematics’ ecoPLUS device was introduced in 2010, giving managers a real-time view in WEBFLEET of the fuel efficiency of every fleet vehicle, showing where and when fuel is wasted.
- In 2011, WEBFLEET OptiDrive is launched displaying performance indicators for speeding, fuel efficiency, idling and braking all on one easy to read indicator bar. Active Driver Feedback is launched at the same time, giving drivers live feedback on their performance such as fuel efficiency, excessive steering and braking, on their PRO navigation device.
- The WEBFLEET Mobile app is also launched in 2011, bringing fleet management to the smartphone.
- WEBFLEET sets the industry standards in information security by achieving ISO 27001 certification.
- In 2013 WEBFLEET’s App Center is introduced, an online resource showcasing the range of business applications available for integration with WEBFLEET.
- In 2014 WEBFLEET becomes the most open fleet management platform by providing 2 more API’s -LINK.connect and PRO.connect – to allow third party applications to integrate with WEBFLEET.
TomTom (TOM2) empowers movement. Every day millions of people around the world depend on TomTom to make smarter decisions. We design and develop innovative products that make it easy for people to keep moving towards their goals. Best known for being a global leader in navigation and mapping products, TomTom also creates GPS Sport Watches, as well as state-of-the-art fleet management solutions and industry leading location based products.
Our business consists of four customer facing business units: Consumer, Automotive, Licensing and Telematics.
Founded in 1991 and headquartered in Amsterdam, we have 4,000 employees worldwide and sell our products in over 37 countries.
About TomTom Telematics
TomTom Telematics is a Business Unit of TomTom dedicated to fleet management and vehicle telematics. Our WEBFLEET platform is a Software-as-a-Service solution – used by small to large businesses to improve vehicle performance, safe fuel, support drivers and increase overall fleet efficiency.
TomTom Telematics is one of the world’s leading telematics solution providers with over 400,000 subscriptions worldwide - recognised as the largest in the European market. We service drivers in more than 60 countries, giving them the industry’s strongest local support network and widest range of sector-specific 3rd party applications and integrations. More than 30,000 customers benefit every day from the highest level of security, quality and availability of our ISO 27001 certified service.
For further information, please visit www.tomtom.com/telematics
Follow us on Twitter @TomTomBusiness