WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, the Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association (WMACCA) announced the finalists for its 2014 Corporate Counsel Awards. The awards honor the work of the region’s leading in-house practitioners over the past year in the following categories -- Outstanding Chief Legal Officer, Outstanding In-House Counsel, Outstanding Paraprofessional, Outstanding Law Department, and Community Service. WMACCA will announce the winners during its 10th Annual Corporate Counsel Awards Reception at The Ritz-Carlton Tysons Corner in McLean, Va. on Thursday, October 16, 2014.
The 27 finalists for the 2014 WMACCA Corporate Counsel Awards are:
Outstanding Chief Legal Officer:
Small Department (1-5 attorneys):
- Brett Coffee, General Counsel, Vice President of Business and Corporate Affairs, and Secretary, Computer Systems Center Incorporated (CSCI)
- Douglas McNitt, General Counsel and Secretary, Sourcefire
- Manik K. Rath, Senior Vice President, Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary, Logistics Management Institute (LMI)
- Mary Jane Saunders, Vice President and General Counsel, Beer Institute
Large Department (6 or more attorneys):
- Laurence A. Grayer, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, DynCorp International Inc.
- Brian A. Miller, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, The AES Corporation
- Joseph M. Miller, General Counsel, America’s Health Insurance Plans
Outstanding In-House Counsel:
- Dianna M. Gibson, Vice President and Associate General Counsel, Alliant Techsystems Inc.
- Michael Kallens, Associate General Counsel and Manager of Corporate Ethics and Compliance, Booz Allen Hamilton Inc.
- Dori A. Kuchinsky, Assistant General Counsel, Litigation, and Global Privacy Counsel, W.R. Grace & Company
- Nick Popper, U.S. Counsel, Spectris Inc.
- Savalle C. Sims, Senior Vice President, Litigation and Intellectual Property, Discovery Communications, Inc.
- Whitney L. Lovell, Legal Coordinator, Human Rights Campaign
- Leith Mann, Assistant Secretary, The AES Corporation
- Joyce K. Ramirez, Senior Paralegal and Contracts Specialist, The Advisory Board Company
- Edna Sendish Peters, Litigation Specialist, American Capital, Ltd.
Outstanding Law Department:
- DynCorp International Inc.
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- The AES Corporation
- Towers Watson
Community Service Award:
- AOL, Inc. – legal department
- Jonathan M. Coleman, General Counsel and Secretary, CoStar Group, Inc.
- Fannie Mae – legal department
- Amy Sue Leavens, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, Capital Impact Partners
- The Advisory Board Company – legal department
- Towers Watson – legal department
"In this milestone 10th year of the Corporate Counsel Awards, WMACCA was delighted to receive a record number of very strong nominations that highlighted the important work done by so many talented individuals and legal departments in our region," said Anne L. Milem, co-chair of the Corporate Counsel Awards and senior vice president and deputy general counsel, Navient Solutions, Inc.
"The achievements and contributions of the finalists selected by our judging panel illustrate the different ways in which the in-house legal team plays an integral role in making an organization stronger and more successful," said Samuel A. Flax, co-chair of the Corporate Counsel Awards, and executive vice president, general counsel, chief compliance officer and secretary, American Capital Ltd.
The finalists were selected from a large pool of nominations submitted by the legal community-at-large in response to an open call for nominations. The panel of judges for the Corporate Counsel Awards is comprised of the following leaders in the business and legal communities in this region:
- Brigida Benitez, President, D.C. Bar, and Partner, Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Mike Daniels, Chairman, Invincea, Inc.
- Samuel A. Flax, Member of the Board of Directors of WMACCA, Co-Chair of the Corporate Counsel Awards, and Executive Vice President, General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer and Secretary, American Capital Ltd.
- Philip Fletcher, Legal Assistant and Contract Administrator, HMSHost Corporation
- Patricia A. Lenahan, Commercial Team Leader, TD Bank
- Dean A. Manson, President of WMACCA, and Executive Vice President and General Counsel, EchoStar Corporation
- Kevin E. Martingayle, President, Virginia State Bar, and Partner, Bischoff Martingayle
- Anne L. Milem, Member of the Board of Directors of WMACCA, Co-Chair of the Corporate Counsel Awards, and Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Navient Solutions, Inc.
- Veta T. Richardson, President and CEO, Association of Corporate Counsel
- Debra G. Schubert, President of the Maryland State Bar Association, and Principal, Law Offices of Debra G. Schubert
- William M. Treanor, Dean, Georgetown University Law Center
The Corporate Counsel Awards were created in 2005 in celebration of WMACCA's 25th anniversary. Over the past decade, the WMACCA Corporate Counsel Awards have become a well-recognized and sought-after honor for members of the in-house community in the District of Columbia, Commonwealth of Virginia and suburban Maryland. For a list of all previous Award winners, please visit http://www.acc.com/chapters/wmacca/awards.cfm. Registration for the Awards Reception is now open at http://www.cvent.com/d/y4qv6l.
With approximately 2,300 members, the Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association (WMACCA) serves the professional needs of in-house counsel in Washington, D.C., Virginia, and suburban Maryland. WMACCA is the regional chapter of the global Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC). WMACCA members participate in more than 90 professional development programs each year and keep connected through a variety of networking events and communications vehicles. WMACCA has been active in regulatory issues that affect the in-house bar, and in providing education to encourage advancements in the standards of corporate legal practice. More information about WMACCA is available on its Web site: http://wmacca.acc.com.