TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Toshiba Corporation (TOKYO:6502) today announced the launch of two starter kits for development of web applications using “ApP LiteTM TZ5000”. Shipments are scheduled to start in October.
TZ5000 is the application processor incorporating a baseband function compliant with IEEE802.11ac, the standard for next generation high-speed wireless LAN. It does not simply feed raw data to the cloud, such as images captured by sensors, but also carries out efficient signal processing and extracts necessary data, contributing to reductions of data loads.
The new starter kit provides various drivers for RIA (Rich Internet Applications)  using HTML5, allowing users to easily introduce embedded environments for developing media streaming devices, IoT (Internet of Things) devices and so on. With this capability, users can shorten product time to market.
Moreover, combination with optional units, such as cameras and microphones, improve development efficiency for all kinds of IoT devices, which is expected to expand further in the market in the near future.
1. Offers two types of starter kit for meeting various application development needs
- RBTZ5000-2MA-A1: Standard board with various expanded I/Os (camera or microphone)
- RBTZ5000-6MA-A1: Stick type board optimized for media streaming device
2. Offers easy application development
Development of integrated applications requires lengthy and complicated debugging for power management and enhanced performance. The new products incorporate Toshiba's original memory scheduler, bus arbiter and adaptive power gating solution, which realize optimal memory access, bus arbitration and sophisticated power management, without software intervention.
3. Supports various OSs and drivers
Provides various drivers for optimizing multimedia playback, Wireless LAN and HDMI® output on OS such as AndroidTM 4.4 or Linux® distribution “Ubuntu Linux”. This helps to shorten the lead time of the application development for web browser using HTML5.
Key Specifications of the New Product
1) Hardware specifications
|Application processor name||TZ5011XBG||TZ5001MBG|
Dual-core ARM® Cortex®-A9 MPCore / ARM® NEON™ ~1.0GHz
Dual-core ARM® Cortex®-A9 MPCore / ARM®
Embedded 4GByte NAND
|NAND Flash||8GByte e･MMC™||4GByte (inside CPU)|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi®||Embedded IEEE802.11a/b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO Baseband Engine (Ensigma™ C4500)|
USB2.0 (HOST) ×2 (*1)
USB2.0 (Device) ×1
USB 2.0 (OTG ) ×1
|HDMI® 1.4b compliant||
HDMI® 1.4b compliant
MIPI® DSI LCD screen connecter(*2)
|MIPI CSI-2 camera connecter(*2)||－|
|Size||90mm x 55mm||24mm x 57mm|
(*1) Enabled by extension board. USB2.0 (HOST) and USB2.0 (OTG) are
(*2) Enabled by extension board.
2) Software specifications
Ethernet/Wi-Fi®/Bluetooth®, USB, UART, GPIO,
 Web applications that use plug-ins including Adobe® Flash®
and Java applet. They are more flexible in operation and expressive than
those using simple HTML form.
 Image contents or services delivered via the internet.
* Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
* Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.
* ARM, Cortex and NEON are trademarks or registered trademarks of ARM Limited in the EU and other countries.
* e·MMC is a trademark of the JEDEC Solid State Technology Association.
* Ensigma is a trademark or registered trademark of Imagination Technologies Limited.
* ApP Lite is a trademark of Toshiba Corporation.
* Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of Wi-Fi Alliance®.
* HDMI is a registered trademark of HDMI Licensing, LLC in the United States and/or other countries.
* Bluetooth is a registered trademark owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such mark by Toshiba is under license.
* MIPI is a registered trademark of MIPI Alliance, Inc.
* Adobe and Flash are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and other countries.
* Java is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates.
* All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.
For further information about TZ5000, please visit:
Logic LSI Marketing & Engineering Department
Information in this document, including product prices and specifications, content of services and contact information, is current on the date of the announcement but is subject to change without prior notice.
Toshiba Corporation, a Fortune Global 500 company, channels world-class capabilities in advanced electronic and electrical product and systems into five strategic business domains: Energy & Infrastructure, Community Solutions, Healthcare Systems & Services, Electronic Devices & Components, and Lifestyles Products & Services. Guided by the principles of The Basic Commitment of the Toshiba Group, “Committed to People, Committed to the Future”, Toshiba promotes global operations towards securing “Growth Through Creativity and Innovation”, and is contributing to the achievement of a world in which people everywhere live in safe, secure and comfortable society.
Founded in Tokyo in 1875, today’s Toshiba is at the heart of a global
network of over 590 consolidated companies employing over 200,000 people
worldwide, with annual sales surpassing 6.5 trillion yen (US$63 billion).
To find out more about Toshiba, visit www.toshiba.co.jp/index.htm