CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Basho, the creator and developer of Riak, the industry leading distributed NoSQL database, today introduced Riak CS 1.5 and Riak CS 1.5 Enterprise, Basho’s distributed object storage software. Riak CS (Cloud Storage) is open source software built on top of Riak, used to build public or private clouds, or, as reliable storage to power applications and services. Riak CS 1.5 delivers new features that improve operation, performance and scalability. Basho continues to offer enterprise-class features in Riak CS Enterprise, which includes multi-datacenter replication, world class 24 by 7 support and flexible pricing model.
Companies dealing with large amounts of unstructured data like videos, images and documents are adopting cloud object storage so that data is highly available through a seamlessly scalable architecture. Businesses in industries such as broadcasting and telecommunications are relying on stability, integration functionality and performance of Riak CS to efficiently store, organize and access data while making it simple to manage.
“We offer our customers affordable and scalable cloud storage solutions built on Basho’s Riak CS,” said Makoto Oya, vice director of IDC Frontier. “The enhanced Amazon S3 compatibility and ability to scale well into the multi-petabyte level in Riak CS 1.5 will help us better support the rapid growth we are seeing in our storage business.”
I-NET Corp, a cloud data center service headquartered in Japan, uses Riak CS for its cloud service called Dream Cloud® and is looking to achieve further cost efficiency thanks to the increased scalability capabilities in Riak CS 1.5.
“Cloud-based object storage is ideal for storing our customer’s growing business-critical data, and we have relied on the excellent performance, cost efficiency and high reliability of Riak CS for the I-NET Dream Cloud®,” said Tsutomu Taguchi, senior managing director, business group of I-NET Corp. “Riak CS already provides us with high availability and now that Riak CS is further optimized to scale, we believe that Riak CS 1.5 delivered by Basho will drive even higher adoption of Dream Cloud®.”
New features enhance performance for object storage to store increasing amounts of data worldwide
Basho delivers new functions in Riak CS that include:
- Additional Amazon S3 compatibility: Expanded storage API compatibility with S3 includes features such as multi-object delete, put object copy, and cache control headers for more flexible integration with content delivery networks (CDNs).
- Performance improvement in garbage collection process: Delivered especially for customers with high rate of object updates and deletes, Riak CS now more quickly reaps objects flagged for garbage collection.
- New, simplified administrative features: New and consolidated admin features make organizational tasks easier for activities such as cluster management, monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Multi-cluster support: Technology preview for increased scalability of Riak CS Enterprise by allowing multiple Riak clusters to reside under a single CS namespace, thereby expanding the maximum capacity of a single cluster.
“Providing the strongest key value solution and object store means responding to customer needs and demands attentively,” said Dave McCrory, CTO of Basho. “With Riak CS 1.5 Enterprise, new features are delivered as requested by our customers. We are committed to make it easier to consume cutting edge versions of Riak and will continue to do this by executing a more iterative approach in how we release Riak.”
Availability and Pricing
Riak CS 1.5 is available immediately for Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, OS X, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora, SmartOS and Solaris. To view the latest technical documentation or to download Riak CS, visit docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/.
Basho delivers customized packages for its commercial software, Riak Enterprise and Riak Enterprise Plus, with health checks, as well as options for project-based Professional Services engagements. Full pricing details of Basho commercial software are at http://basho.com/riak-enterprise/#pricing. To request a trial license of Riak CS Enterprise, prospective inquiries can request a Riak CS Tech Talk at http://info.basho.com/SignUpRiakTechTalk.html.
- Basho Website (http://basho.com)
- Basho Blog (http://basho.com/blog/)
- Riak (http://basho.com/riak/)
Riak CS (http://basho.com/riak-cloud-storage/)
- Riak CS doc (docs.basho.com/riakcs/latest/)
- Additional Resources (http://basho.com/resources/)
- Twitter: @Basho (https://twitter.com/basho)
- LinkedIn (https://www.linkedin.com/company/basho-technologies-inc)
About Basho Technologies
Basho is a distributed systems company dedicated to making software that is highly available, fault-tolerant and easy-to-operate at scale. Basho’s distributed database, Riak, and Basho’s cloud storage software, Riak CS, are used by fast growing Web businesses and by one third of the Fortune 50 to power their critical Web, mobile and social applications and their public and private cloud platforms.
Riak and Riak CS are available open source. Riak Enterprise and Riak CS Enterprise offer enhanced multi-datacenter replication and 24×7 Basho support. For more information, visit basho.com. Basho is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.