HANGZHOU, China--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Alibaba Group today announced the appointment of Jane Penner as Vice President, Head of Investor Relations, effective August 11. Penner will be based in San Francisco and will be charged with leading Alibaba Group's investor relations team.
Penner brings deep investor relations and financial communications expertise, with a background that spans the technology, banking and media sectors. Prior to her appointment at Alibaba, Penner led the investor relations team at Google, a global technology leader with nearly $60 billion in annual gross revenue.
Penner joined Google in 2008 from Bear Stearns Companies, Inc., where she was a Managing Director. Prior to Bear Stearns, Penner was a senior editor at TheStreet.com, where she served as the primary editor for founder/lead columnist Jim Cramer and launched Real Money, a news and commentary website for professional investors. She received her MA in English from the University of Pennsylvania and a BA in English from Williams College.
“Jane is an experienced investor relations professional with strong knowledge of the technology sector and a proven record of building investor trust internationally," said Maggie Wu, CFO of Alibaba Group. “Jane’s appointment is part of our broader focus on building a long-term business for the future, and her expertise will be especially important to Alibaba as our company enters this new and exciting phase.”
About Alibaba Group
Alibaba Group's mission is to make it easy to do business anywhere. The company is the largest online and mobile commerce company in the world in terms of gross merchandise volume. Founded in 1999, the company provides the fundamental technology infrastructure and marketing reach to help businesses leverage the power of the Internet to establish an online presence and conduct commerce with hundreds of millions of consumers and other businesses.
Alibaba Group's major businesses include:
- Taobao Marketplace (www.taobao.com), China's largest online shopping destination
- Tmall.com (www.tmall.com), China's largest online third-party platform for brands and retailers
- Juhuasuan (www.juhuasuan.com), China's most popular online group buying marketplace
- AliExpress (www.aliexpress.com), a global online marketplace for consumers to buy directly from China
- Alibaba.com (www.alibaba.com), China's largest global online wholesale platform for small businesses
- 1688.com (www.1688.com), a leading online wholesale marketplace in China
- Alibaba Cloud Computing (www.aliyun.com), a leading provider of cloud computing services to businesses and entrepreneurs
Alibaba Group also provides payment and escrow services on its marketplaces through its association with Alipay (www.alipay.com), a related company of Alibaba Group.
Through China Smart Logistics, a 48%-owned affiliate, Alibaba Group, operates a central logistics information system that connects a network of express delivery companies in China.