WOBURN, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Kaspersky Lab announces the release of its newly updated product line for home users: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2015, Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 and Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device 2015. The solutions were developed to protect users of Windows, Apple OS X and Android devices from existing and new threats – making their online lives easier and safer.
In a world of increasingly sophisticated online threats, people want reliable security software capable of fully protecting them from cyber-threats on all the devices they use to interact, shop and bank online. To secure our customers’ data, safeguard their privacy and financial transactions, and help keep their children safe from online harm, Kaspersky Lab is constantly updating and improving the components of its security solutions.
These latest versions of Kaspersky Lab’s consumer software incorporate several entirely new technologies that prevent webcam surveillance of the user, shield against the risks of working on vulnerable Wi-Fi networks and improve the level of protection against encryption malware.
New Key Features
Webcam hacking, or intercepting images from the webcam, is one way of using malware for online spying and invasion of personal privacy. Many users pay little attention to what might be recorded on their webcams – even though the camera could capture images of documents containing bank details, credit cards, or simply personal activities that people prefer not to expose to strangers. For our customers to be confident that they are never observed without their knowledge or consent, Kaspersky Lab has developed the Webcam Protection feature. It helps monitor which applications attempt to connect to the webcam, warns the user of access attempts, and, if necessary, blocks webcam access1.
Wi-Fi Security Notification
In the hands of criminals, public wireless networks can easily become yet another tool to intercept user data. That’s why Kaspersky Lab has introduced a Wi-Fi Security Notification module into the new edition of Kaspersky Internet Security. This module verifies the security of Wi-Fi hotspots and alerts the user to any potential threats, such as a vulnerable network connection or the transmission of an unsecured password via the Internet. Users also receive tips and recommendations on how to securely configure their own home Wi-Fi network1.
One of the most serious threats to our customers’ documents, pictures, and music comes from so-called cryptomalware, or malware that encrypts files and demands a ransom before restoring access to the information. Once the data is encrypted, not even removing the malware itself can restore access to the encrypted files, so Kaspersky Lab has built a way to regain access to data without paying any ransom. Kaspersky Lab’s System Watcher module analyzes all processes running on the operating system, and now features new data backup functionality. When System Watcher detects a suspicious program attempting to modify a user file, it instantly creates a local backup copy of that file, free from any external changes. If further observation indicates that the program that changed the file was malicious, then the changes will be rolled back1.
Improved Key Features
According to the findings of the Consumer Security Risks Survey 2013, 28 percent of participants admitted they do not check the security status of the sites where they enter confidential information. As a result, improvements were introduced into the Safe Money module to protect online financial transactions at every stage. Now, Safe Money also blocks third-party applications from accessing the Web browser clipboard, which may temporarily contain confidential data (such as copied login credentials). The Safe Money module continues to offer protection from screen-capture technology, malicious browser extensions and other money-stealing tactics used by cybercriminals1.
The 2015 versions of Kaspersky Lab’s consumer security portfolio also include a number of extra enhancements:
- Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Anti-Virus now include automatic updates & upgrades when newer versions become available. This innovation means users will always have the most recent and reliable version of their security product without the hassle of manually downloading and installing it1.
- For users of paid Wi-Fi networks, 3G or LTE connections, the solution now includes the Cost-Aware Networking feature that reduces the amount of data communicated by the product via the net2.
- In the anti-phishing module, which helps the user avoid unwanted and malicious webpages, improvements were introduced into the text, image and website link analysis technology. This leads to faster and more accurate detections of fake websites designed to steal money and sensitive user information.
- The main menu and interface has been unified across all products so users can easily navigate applications regardless of the operating system or product version. Careful attention to resource consumption has helped improve the effectiveness of security tools without affecting the performance of the operating system.
Justin Priestley, senior vice president, consumer sales
Kaspersky Lab, North America
“Today’s threat landscape is persistently evolving and at Kaspersky Lab we’re continuously staying one step ahead of the cybercriminals. We provide our customers with the most advanced protection tools available, like the innovative Webcam Protection and System Watcher features. Our 2015 suite of products, especially Kaspersky Internet Security, is equipped with technologies that have proven to be effective not only in independent tests, but in the real-world, protecting 300 million people across the globe.”
Kaspersky Anti-Virus is the foundation of our battle with the latest malware. It protects against malicious software, assesses the security of each website a user visits and identifies any suspicious program behavior. Kaspersky Anti-Virus also includes an automatic exploit protection system, which prevents malware from exploiting security gaps in legitimate applications and software used by millions of people across the globe.
Kaspersky Internet Security
Kaspersky Internet Security provides premium PC protection to protect our customers from all types of Internet threats. In addition to antivirus and anti-phishing protection, it includes a range of other tools and technologies to help protect privacy, personal data and online payments. Kaspersky Internet Security also enables parents to monitor their children's activity on the Web with the help of the Parental Control module.
Kaspersky Internet Security — Multi-Device
Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device is a multi-platform integrated security solution. With just one license you can activate Kaspersky Lab products on computers, tablets or smartphones (the combination can vary according to the user's needs, and the number of devices is determined by the purchased license). Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device protects devices that run under:
- Microsoft Windows with Kaspersky Internet Security;
- Apple OS X with Kaspersky Internet Security for Mac. The product blocks malware as well as phishing and other dangerous sites in Safari, Mozilla Firefox browsers or in Google Chrome. The product also integrates virtual keyboard and the Parental Control module;
- Google Android with Kaspersky Internet Security for Android. It can block dangerous apps, filter out unwanted calls and messages and protect against online fraud. Users can also wipe personal data if their device is lost or stolen, or help locate it using GPS services;
- Windows Phone and iOS with Safe Browser for Windows Phone and Safe Browser for iOS. Safe Browser filters out phishing sites and pages with undesirable content. Both versions of Safe Browser are free and available from Apple Store and Windows Phone accordingly.
Pricing and Availability
Kaspersky Internet Security, Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device are available for purchase now on Kaspersky Lab's online store, and wherever quality software is sold in the U.S. and Canada. A standard subscription – 3-user licenses for a 1-year period – is $79.95 for Kaspersky Internet Security and $59.95 for Kaspersky Anti-Virus. A 5-user license for a 1-year period is $89.95 for Kaspersky Internet Security – Multi-Device.
About Kaspersky Lab
Kaspersky Lab is the world’s largest privately held vendor of endpoint protection solutions. The company is ranked among the world’s top four vendors of security solutions for endpoint users*. Throughout its more than 16-year history Kaspersky Lab has remained an innovator in IT security and provides effective digital security solutions for large enterprises, SMBs and consumers. Kaspersky Lab, with its holding company registered in the United Kingdom, currently operates in almost 200 countries and territories across the globe, providing protection for over 300 million users worldwide. Learn more at www.kaspersky.com.
For the latest in-depth information on security threat issues and trends, please visit:
| Information about Viruses, Hackers and Spam
Follow @Securelist on Twitter
* The company was rated fourth in the IDC rating Worldwide Endpoint Security Revenue by Vendor, 2012. The rating was published in the IDC report "Worldwide Endpoint Security 2013–2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares (IDC #242618, August 2013). The report ranked software vendors according to earnings from sales of endpoint security solutions in 2012.
1 Works for Windows OS
2 The Cost-Aware Networking function is available for Windows 8 or higher