HOUSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--For kids, a hot summer points to the swimming pool. For parents, it may point to high energy bills. Air conditioning, appliances, electronics and summer activities can require a lot of energy, but cutting back doesn’t mean cutting out the fun. Reliant has a few simple suggestions to save energy and encourage creativity.
Turn your day into an energy-saving game:
- Go on a treasure hunt to find lights and appliances left on.
- Create a secret password to avoid unnecessarily opening refrigerator and freezer doors.
- Make a puzzle out of arranging dishes efficiently in the dishwasher to save water and energy by running the dishwasher less frequently.
- Set a budget for the electric bill and challenge your kids to help conserve energy. If more energy is conserved than budgeted, split the savings with the kids.
Give your family’s routine a summer makeover:
- Keep a calendar that recognizes kids who chose outdoor activities over the TV or video game console.
- Invite kids to create cold meals with you to avoid using the oven.
- Challenge everyone to complete tasks by daylight instead of using electric lights.
Use kids’ energy to save energy:
- Grab a shovel and plant a tree together to help shade some of the house on hot summer days.
- Hang clothes outside instead of using the dryer. The same clothesline can create a tent.
“Hot summer weather can become a teachable moment in energy conservation with a little bit of creativity,” said Bill Clayton, vice president of customer care operations at Reliant. “At Reliant we love helping our customers save over the summer and enjoy more treasured moments with their families in the process.”
Beyond kid-friendly suggestions, Reliant has additional information about making homes more energy efficient, expert help to identify problems and electricity plans that can save families money. Find more tips at dogdays.myreliant.com and energy plans at www.reliant.com.
Reliant provides electricity, smart energy solutions, and energy services to business and residential customers across Texas. Reliant is part of NRG (NYSE: NRG), a Fortune 500 company that is at the forefront of changing how people think about, buy and use energy. Backed by a diverse portfolio of about 100 power generating facilities that can support over 46 million homes nationwide, NRG’s retail businesses, including Reliant, collectively comprise Texas’ largest retail energy provider and serve almost 3 million customers in 10 states and the District of Columbia. For more information about Reliant products and services, please visit www.reliant.com. Connect with Reliant on Facebook at www.facebook.com/reliantenergy and on Twitter @reliantenergy. PUCT Certificate #10007