LAKEVILLE & MIDDLEBORO, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The next time you see cranberry juice on the shelf you may want to add it to your shopping cart. At least that’s what a growing body of health research suggests. Only 1.5 centimeters wide, and known for its bold, tart taste, the cranberry is gaining a worldwide reputation for a growing list of healthful properties.
From its exceptional taste to its rich heritage and long list of health benefits, the cranberry is truly one of Mother Nature’s superfruits. Here are five big reasons to consider adding the unique fruit to your diet:
- Support Urinary Tract Health – Cranberries taste good and are good for you. More than 50 years of scientific evidence suggests cranberry’s role in promoting urinary tract health. Cranberries contain powerful elements called proanthocyanidins (PACs) that help keep certain harmful bacteria from attaching to cells inside the body and flushing them away; naturally helping to cleanse and purify the body.* Drinking two, 236 milliliter servings of cranberry juice daily is a nutritional way to maintain urinary tract health.
- Heart Health Friendly – Cranberries can be good for the heart. Emerging studies show cranberries may help support heart health due to their rich polyphenol antioxidant content. In fact, a recent study shows children and adults who regularly drink cranberry juice as part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle, have improved heart health profiles.
- Immunity Boosting – One study recently found that people who drink a glass of cranberry juice a day could experience fewer cold and flu symptoms than those who do not. So, grab a tall glass of cranberry juice. It may help boost your immune system!
- Versatile Taste – The cranberry is known for its unique flavor, vibrant color and ability to mix and mingle with many flavors, from sweet to savory. Cranberry juice can be sipped on its own or added to smoothies, cocktails, mocktails, breads, desserts and more.
- From the Bog to the Bottle – Cranberry farmers from the Ocean Spray cooperative, often third-, fourth- and fifth-generation, grow and harvest the cranberry straight from the bog. Ocean Spray has been “grower-owned” since 1930. That means the same farmers who harvest the cranberries also own the company.
Adding the cranberry to your life every day, everywhere, every way can be simple with these delicious recipes:
- Breakfast – Jump into the day with an energizing (and filling!) Cranberry Banana Smoothie. Or, if you’re on the go in the morning and need something fast, pour yourself a serving of cranberry juice instead of coffee!
- Mocktail – Refresh and refuel after a long day by adding a splash of sparkling water and a touch of lime to an iced, tall glass of cranberry juice.
- Dessert – Take your cake mix from boring to extraordinary with a little cranberry juice. Make Cake Pops for your family and friends, and see if they can guess the amazing mystery ingredient!
Cranberries: By The Numbers
- 1550s: When the medicinal value of the cranberry was first discovered by Native Americans in North America
- 440: Amount of cranberries in 453 grams – they are very lightweight!
- 4: Number of air chambers inside the cranberry that allow it to float to the top of water after the bog has been flooded by cranberry growers
- 100+: Varieties of cranberries
Visit facebook.com/oceanspray for more information about the cranberry, recipes and Ocean Spray, including a full historical timeline and more.
* Consumption of cranberry polyphenols enhances human γδ-T cell proliferation and reduces the number of symptoms associated with colds and influenza: a randomized, placebo-controlled intervention study. Nantz MP, Rowe CA, Muller C, Creasy R, Colee J, Khoo C, Percival SS. Nutr J. 2013 Dec 13;12:161.
Cranberry Banana Smoothie
6 ounces of Ocean Spray® cranberry juice, chilled
½ medium banana, cut into slices
½ cup fat-free or regular vanilla yogurt
Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend for a few seconds on high speed or until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pour into a glass.
Makes 1 serving.
Cranberry Lime Spritzer
8 ounces Ocean Spray® cranberry juice, chilled
2 ounces sparkling water
Lime wedge as garnish
Fill a glass with ice. Add cranberry juice. Top with sparkling water. Garnish with lime wedge.
Makes 1 serving.
1 (15.25-ounce) box cake mix
1 cup Ocean Spray® cranberry juice
½ cup vegetable oil
1 1/3 cups prepared frosting (about ¾ can)
Candy coating chips, melted
Assorted decorations, as desired
Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with baking spray; set aside.
Prepare cake mix as directed on box, using cranberry juice in place of water. Pour into cake pan and bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (25 to 28 minutes).
Remove from oven; cool completely.
In a large bowl, crumble entire cake into fine pieces. Add frosting to crumbled cake and mix until cake is completely coated. Form into balls; chill at least 1 hour.
Dip tip of lollipop stick into melted coating, then push stick about halfway into shaped cake pop. Dip cake pop into melted coating, tapping to remove any excess. Place pops upright into box or block; let dry completely.
Repeat with remaining cake pops.
Using toothpicks, apply additional melted colored coating as desired; decorate with candies, sprinkles or edible glitter into desired shapes or patterns.
Makes about 32 cake pops.
About Ocean Spray
Ocean Spray is a vibrant agricultural cooperative owned by more than 700 cranberry and grapefruit growers in the United States, Canada and Chile who have helped preserve the family farming way of life for generations. Formed in 1930, Ocean Spray is now the world’s leading producer of cranberry juices, juice drinks and dried cranberries and is the best-selling brand in the North American bottled juice category. The cooperative’s cranberries are currently featured in more than a thousand great-tasting, good-for-you products in over 90 countries worldwide. With more than 2,000 employees and nearly 20 cranberry receiving and processing facilities, Ocean Spray is committed to managing our business in a way that respects our communities, employees and the environment. In fiscal year 2013, Ocean Spray posted gross sales of $2.2 billion and net proceeds of $380 million. For more information visit www.oceanspray.com or our corporate blog at www.insidethecranberry.com