WALTHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--iGetBetter, Inc., a supplier of post-acute care transition solutions, announced today the addition of the Total Knee Replacement (TKR) Care Plan template to its library of care plan templates. The TKR Care Plan template is used with the iGetBetter cloud-based platform for the rapid deployment of a care transition solution. It is focused on post-surgery treatments bridging the transition of care from hospital to home that engages the patient in their own care, improving outcomes and helping reduce readmissions.
Total knee replacements are one of the key areas of focus for the new cost-saving programs that are part of healthcare reform, and are getting increased attention with the objective of reducing costly post-surgery complications and readmissions. The cost of TKR averages about $25,000 per procedure, and with the new risk-sharing payment models, providers need rapid deployment of care transition solutions that can help them engage and monitor their patients.
“We have been working closely with an orthopedic clinical team at a Boston-area teaching hospital to create a TKR care plan template that will help patients and their caregivers shorten the time from surgery to full recovery, and to improve outcomes,” said David Lebudzinski, M.D., chief medical officer at iGetBetter. “In a pilot with their knee replacement patients , this orthopedic team will use the iGetBetter TKR Care Plan template and edit and customize for each patient with the goal of helping them recover quickly and reduce readmissions.”
The iGetBetter TKR Care Plan template can be edited and customized for each patient. For example, the care plan for a younger or physically active person may be different than the plan for an older or less active person. The TKR Care Plan template has the following elements:
- Reminders: patients are reminded about signs and symptoms of common post-op problems such as blood clots, infection, over exercising.
- Advice: timely advice about post-op wound/dressing care, icing requirements, specific guidance about when to shower, reminders for follow-up appointments
- Video exercises: Provides videos of exercises to be performed on specific days post-op.
- Patient input: patients are asked pointed post-op questions about important parameters such as various pain levels (while moving, at rest, with flexion), nausea level, and nightly quality of sleep.
- Clinician alerts and action: clinicians are alerted when any of the parameters are outside of the specified range and can intervene with the patient or correct or adapt the plan
Library of Care Plan Templates
iGetBetter has developed a library of care plan templates, to which the TKR Care Plan template has been added:
- Total Knee Replacement (TKR)/Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA)
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG)
- Rotator Cuff Surgery
- ACL Reconstruction Surgery
- … (additional care plan templates are being developed)
For additional information regarding care plans, register for the second episode of the iGetBetter “Triple Aim Care Transition” Webinar Series: How Care Plans can Improve Population Health Management & Reduce Per Capita Cost" at noon ET on June 26, 2014.
Care Plan Editor
The patent-pending iGetBetter Care Plan Editor is an easy-to-use visual drag-and-drop tool that clinicians may use to create new care plans and edit existing care plan templates. Provider institutions may create a standardized discharge and care plan for their patients, which clinicians may then customize for each individual patient. The care plan instructions for each patient are communicated to them daily via either the Web or mobile devices, and the clinician can monitor the each patient’s adherence to their care plan and intervene when necessary.
Seeking TKR and Other Pilots
The iGetBetter team of clinicians, technologists and health organization experts is conducting pilots for congestive heart failure (CHF) and total knee replacement (TKR) patients in some Massachusetts hospitals. In addition, the company is actively seeking additional pilot opportunities for patients with conditions such as acute coronary syndrome (ACS), cardiac artery bypass graft (CABG), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), joint replacement and other high volume or high expenditure conditions.
Established in 2013 and headquartered in Waltham, MA., iGetBetter, Inc., develops, markets and services a mobile, Web and cloud-based care transition solution designed to help healthcare organizations reduce readmissions by engaging patients in their treatments and recovery as they transition from hospital to home. For more information, please visit - or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.