DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/rktlzk/gerons) has announced the addition of the "Geron's Imetelstat for myelofibrosis" report to their offering.
Geron is developing the telomerase inhibitor, imetelstat, for the treatment of myelofibrosis (MF), a rare, chronic bone marrow malignancy disorder in which patients produce an excess of progenitor blood cells of myeloid (bone marrow) lineage. Imetelstat directly inhibits telomerase activity by binding with high affinity to the RNA template of telomerase. Telomerase stabilizes telomeres and extends the lifetime of tumor cells inhibition in tumor cells leads to telomere shortening which, after sufficient cell divisions, results in apoptosis (cell death).
Without the ability to maintain telomere length, the cancer cell eventually stops growing and dies. Malignant cells also lose cell adhesion properties after exposure to the drug. Imetelstat is lipid soluble, so it does not require a membrane transporter for cellular uptake.
Key Topics Covered:
- MYELOFIBROSIS a MYELOPROLIFERATIVE NEOPLASM
- Clinical picture of myelofibrosis
- Disease mechanisms in MF
- Current treatments of MF imetelstat
- A primer on telomeres and telomerase
- Imetelstat's mechanism of action
- Phase I trials of imetelstat
- Phase II studies in solid tumors disappointed
- Phase II trial in essential thrombocythemia
- Investigator-sponsored phase II study in MF showed impressive results
- Next steps for imetelstat
Clinical and regulatory Discussion
- How good are the imetelstat results in MF compared with those of Jakafi?
- Jakafi does not induce complete bone marrow remissions
- The effect of chemotherapy on bone marrow fibrosis
- Why does imetelstat work in some tumors and not in others?
- Regulatory discussion
- Additional safety risks may emerge
- Geron could pursue a number of different strategies
- Overview: Jakafi is first to market for MF
- Epidemiology of MF
- Pipeline in MF
- Imetelstat seems well positioned to compete for market share in MF.
- Revenue projections
- Cell Therapeutics Inc/Baxter
- Eli Lilly
- MEI Pharma
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/rktlzk/gerons