BIRMINGHAM, Ala.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioAlabama, the life science trade association for Alabama’s biotechnology industry, has confirmed Chris Yochim as the keynote speaker for this year’s 2014 Annual Meeting on May 29th, 2014, 8am – 3pm at the Doubletree Hilton Birmingham.
Chris Yochim is the Global Head of External Relations, Global Product and Portfolio Strategy for AstraZeneca. He contributed to the development of numerous marketed products, including treatments for high blood pressure, asthma and schizophrenia. As the meeting’s featured speaker, Yochim will share his insights on partnering, research and commercialization between industry and academia based on his 20+ years of experience.
The theme for the 2014 BioAlabama Annual Meeting is “Bridging the Gap between Corporation and Academics in the Biotechnology Industry”. The morning meeting will feature a science symposium with topics focused on: Drug Discovery, Diagnostics, Medical Devices and Genomics. Ground breaking scientific and corporate presentations from teams across Alabama will be featured including Auburn University, HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology, The Innovation Depot, University of Alabama at Birmingham and the University of South Alabama.
- Rich Whitley, M.D., Professor, School of Medicine, UAB
- Rick Myers, Ph.D., President, HudsonAlpha
- Andrew West, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Neurology, UAB
- Raj Singh, Ph.D., President and CEO, Vivo Biosciences, Inc.
- Jan Novak, Ph.D, Assistant Professor, Microbiology, UAB
- Brent Ponce, M.D., Associate Professor, School of Medicine, UAB
- Joel Berry, Ph.D., Associate Professor, School of Engineering, UAB
- Randall Moreadith, M.D., Ph.D., President and CEO, Serina Therapeutics, Inc.
- Frank Skidmore, M.D., Assistant Professor, Neurology, UAB
- Michael Niederwies, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Microbiology, UAB
- David Sweatt, Ph.D., Chair, Neurobiology, UAB
- Rajesh Amin, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Harrison School of Pharmacy, Auburn University
- Greg Cooper, Ph.D., HudsonAlpha
- Scott Barnum, Ph.D., Professor, Microbiology, UAB
- Moon Nahm, M.D., Professor, Pathology, UAB
“BioAlabama is pleased to be hosting Chris Yochim and this exciting group of researchers and innovative companies at this year’s annual meeting,” said Kathy Nugent, Ph.D., President of BioAlabama. "This meeting provides a great forum for us to highlight the cutting-edge research, development and commercialization coming out of our leading institutions and life science companies. We are proud to report that the Alabama life sciences industry continues to grow and be recognized globally for exciting contributions to human and environmental health.”
“We are fortunate to have a strong biotechnology community which already has a significant economic impact on the state,” said Carter Wells, Chairman-Elect of the Board for BioAlabama. “BioAlabama will continue to focus on strategic initiatives that will strengthen our existing talent, drive economic development and ensure that Alabama reaches its full potential as a leader in the life sciences industry.”
About the 2014 BioAlabama Annual Meeting
The 2014 BioAlabama Annual Meeting is on Thursday, May 29th from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm at the DoubleTree Hotel, 808 South 20th Street, Birmingham, Alabama. Registration begins at 8:00 am. There will be an Opening Reception on Wednesday, May 28th from 5 pm – 6:30 pm at the Innovation Depot, 1500 1st Ave N, Birmingham, Alabama. Tickets can be purchased at www.bioalabama.com.
Opportunity for Press to Meet Chris Yochim
Media are invited to the Annual meeting with keynote speaker, starting at 1:00pm. There will be an opportunity for the media to meet with Chris Yochim at 2:30pm in the Arlington room of the DoubleTree hotel on May 29th.
BioAlabama is a statewide non-profit organization representing Alabama’s bio related industries, research scientists, clinicians and business professionals who are working together to foster, develop and support the life sciences in Alabama. BioAlabama is the state affiliate in Alabama of the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO), the preeminent national association of biotechnology companies. Connect with BioAlabama on Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin.