CAMPBELL, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its latest Pay TV Services and Subscribers report, which forecasts and analyzes the cable TV, satellite TV, and telco internet protocol television (IPTV) services markets.
PAY-TV ANALYST NOTE
“As a result of increasing competition from OTT (over-the-top) players and the service providers themselves using broadband video as a lower-priced offering, we believe overall video services ARPU and revenue growth will be constrained and, accordingly, have reduced our 2017 pay-TV revenue forecast by 35% globally, from $401 billion to just under $260 billion,” advises Jeff Heynen, principal analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research.
PAY-TV MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- The global pay-TV market (cable and satellite TV, telco IPTV) totaled $221 billion in 2013, a 5% gain from a year ago
- Growth resulted from pay-TV providers in mature markets increasing average revenue per user (ARPU) among slow-growing/declining subscriber bases, and from operators in emerging markets continuing to see significant subscriber growth
- Pay-TV subscribers grew 5% in the second half of 2013 (2H13), to 756 million subscribers, with the strongest growth coming from the telco IPTV segment
DirecTV is the global market leader for pay-TV service revenue;
The satellite TV provider has one of the highest ARPUs in the
industry, which is helping it offset a slowdown in net
PAY TV SUBSCRIBER DATABASE
See Infonetics’ companion Pay TV Subscriber Database and Video Equipment Tracker, published in May 2014, for additional data and demographics on the digital and analog cable pay TV, satellite pay TV, and telco IPTV subscribers of more than 150 providers around the world.
ABOUT INFONETICS’ VIDEO SERVICES REPORT
Infonetics’ biannual pay-TV services and subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market share, market size, forecasts through 2018, analysis, and trends for telco IPTV, analog and digital cable video, and satellite video service revenue, ARPU, and subscribers. Pay-TV providers tracked: América Móvil, AT&T, Beijing Gehua, Bell Canada, BSkyB, Cablevision, CanalSat, Charter, China Telecom, Comcast, Cox, DirecTV, DISH Network, J:COM, Jiangsu Cable, Kabel Deutschland (Vodafone), Orange, Shaw, Sky Italia, Tata Sky, Time Warner Cable, UPC Broadband, Verizon, Virgin Media, and many others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
- Infonetics’ May Video and Pay TV research brief: http://bit.ly/1lIK5Rc
- IPTV providers planning significant uptake of set-top boxes with 802.11ac in 2015
- Video gateways a bright spot in slumping STB market
- Emerging markets driving growth in pay-TV market
- Pay-TV operators look to ‘second screen’ apps, enhanced DVR in tug-of-war for subscribers
RECENT AND UPCOMING SURVEYS AND MARKET FORECASTS
- Residential Gateway Strategies & Vendor Leadership: Service Provider Survey (Apr.)
- Pay TV Subscriber Database and Video Equipment Tracker (May)
- Broadcast & Streaming Video Equipment & Pay TV Subscribers Forecast (May)
- Home Automation & Connected Home Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (May)
- The Role of Service Delivery Platforms in M2M & IoT (May 20: Attend)
- Unlocking Revenues with Carrier Ethernet 2.0 Wholesale E-Access (May 29: Attend)
- How to Get the Best Out of DAS, LTE, Small Cells & WiFi (June 5: Attend)
- Extending Copper Access Networks with Vectoring & G.Fast (View on-demand)
- Indoor Wireless Solutions: Technologies, Challenges & Backhaul (View on-demand)
- NFV: The Nitty Gritty (View on-demand)
- Home Automation & the Future of the Connected Home (Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East, Midwest), L. America: Scott Coyne, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, email@example.com, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.