STOCKTON, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Roman Catholic Bishop of Stockton announced today that the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of California has entered an order establishing August 15, 2014 at 4:00 p.m. (Pacific Time) as the last date and time for Sexual Abuse Claimants to assert a Sexual Abuse Claim.
The Roman Catholic Bishop of Stockton filed for bankruptcy protection on January 15, 2014. Key to the bankruptcy proceeding is determining exactly what claims the Diocese will face, enabling the court to distribute remaining assets as fairly as possible.
This “Sexual Abuse Claim Bar Date” applies to all sexual abuse claims against the Diocese based upon sexual abuse that occurred before January 15, 2014. Other types of claims face earlier deadlines: general claims must be filed by May 22, 2014 and claims by governmental bodies must be filed by July 14, 2014.
The Diocese of Stockton is taking a number of steps to inform potential claimants of the bar date set by the court. These include advertisements in more than 24 local and regional newspapers, an advertisement in USA Today, as well as notices mailed to every household on parish and parish school mailing lists.
Those submitting a claim for sexual abuse must use a court-approved form to do so. This form, known as the Sexual Abuse Proof of Claim Form, is available through a number of websites and locations. Copies of the form may be obtained by:
- Visiting a website established by attorneys for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors appointed in this case, at www.pszjlaw.com/stocktondiocese.html;
- Contacting the Creditor’s Committee counsel at (888) 570-6217;
- Visiting an informational website established for the Diocese at www.kccllc.net/stocktondiocese, then clicking on the link to access that proof of claim form;
- Contacting the Diocese’s bankruptcy law firm at (916) 329-7400; or
- Visiting the Diocese’s web page at www.stocktondiocese.org.
To view the court order establishing the Bar Date, or to see any of the documents filed in this case, visit www.kccllc.net/stocktondiocese.