NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--W Hotels Worldwide today announced the second wave of renovation projects as part of the brand’s plan to reinvigorate its iconic North American portfolio. The aggressive strategy focuses on further enhancing the W portfolio and $100 million investment of the brand and its ownership groups with cutting-edge updates to public spaces, new signature bar and restaurant concepts, and stylish guestroom updates in key markets including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, Mexico City and Washington DC.
“The W brand is rooted in New York City, and as we expand globally, we are committed to remaining at the forefront of design and programming innovation here in North America,” said Anthony Ingham, Vice President, North America Brand Management, W Hotels. “Over the last two years, we have seen tremendous excitement among our guests and locals surrounding our recent refreshes and are excited to further reinvigorate key properties in our portfolio.”
To bring the renovations to life, W Hotels has tapped some of the design industry’s brightest rising visionaries to collaborate with the brand’s award-winning design team. This second round of renovations follows the completion of renovation projects at W San Diego, W San Francisco, W Seattle, W New York – Union Square, W New York – Times Square, W Dallas – Victory, and W New Orleans – French Quarter.
“Design is at the core of the W brand’s DNA and through our cutting-edge renovations, we’re continuing to push the boundaries for some of our most iconic hotels in North America,” said Ted Jacobs, Vice President, Global Brand Design, W Hotels Worldwide. “We pride ourselves on innovative design narratives and unique storytelling, and look forward to bringing this to life in our properties around the country.”
Upcoming W Hotel renovation projects include:
- W Atlanta – Midtown – In June, W Atlanta – Midtown will unveil a new restaurant, TRACE, the brand’s signature sustainable, farm-to-hotel dining concept. Designed by Puccini Group, the look of TRACE draws inspiration from characteristics often found on the farm, design elements include textured and weathered woods, metal tables inspired by machinery, and an eclectic assortment of seating, such as mismatched chairs and wooden crates. A refresh Living Room will also be unveiled later this year.
- W Chicago – City Center – Nestled in Chicago’s Loop, W Chicago – City Center will offer 14,000 square feet of refreshed meeting spaces for a brightened and fully refreshed look. Debuting this spring with the help of design firm Forchielli Glynn, iconic elements from the building’s 1920’s architecture such as original chandeliers, vaulted gold ceilings and an oversized fireplace are enhanced with modern W design.
- W Chicago – Lakeshore – Slated for completion in May 2014, W Chicago – Lakeshore’s full scale, top-to-bottom renovation by Meyer Davis Design is a nod to the hotel’s location and the manner in which it reflects the energy of the city onto the glittering waters of Lake Michigan. The entire hotel will be redesigned, inside and out, including all 520 guest rooms and suites, corridors, and building exterior. All public spaces including The Living Room, meeting space, and Altitude (event space with 360 degree views of the city), will be completely reimagined as well as a new beverage and food experience, Current, by Cornerstone Restaurant Group.
- W Hoboken – Inspired by nods to Frank Sinatra and baseball, each of the 265 guestrooms and suites will be updated by Starwood’s in-house design team while a custom-designed 25 foot chandelier by Madlab will be installed in the hotel’s Great Room. These renovations follow the February 2014 opening of the new destination bar, LuLu’s, designed by Novogratz.
- W Los Angeles – Westwood – This beloved celebrity hideaway, featuring all suite rooms, has engaged Dawson Design Associates to redesign all 258 guestrooms by the end of 2014.
- W Mexico City – With a playfully sophisticated “Masquerade” design narrative imagined by nemaworkshop, W Mexico City recently revealed its Living Room renovation. An exciting new destination restaurant and completely renovated guestrooms are also underway.
- W Montreal – Starwood’s in-house design team will renovate all 152 guestrooms and suites with a colorful new palette that pays tribute to the historical architecture of the city. Rooms will be revealed in 2015
- W New York – Inspired by the sights and sounds of New York City, the W brand’s birthplace, the flagship property recently re-energized its Living Room with the help from local New York design agency Krause + Sawyer.
- W San Francisco - Slated for completion in 2014, W San Francisco’s roof top Terrace, FIT® (W’s state-of-the-art fitness center) and signature restaurant TRACE will undergo a complete redesign by Skylab Architecture. Guest rooms and meeting spaces will be refreshed early next year.
- W Seattle – W Seattle will introduce 423 newly updated guestrooms in 2015. Envisioned by Krause + Sawyer, the newly designed quarters will draw inspiration from the sound associated with the shock waves of a sonic boom, mixed with urban aircraft architecture and indigenous lodges.
- W Washington, DC – In 2014, W Washington DC’s famed POV rooftop terrace and lounge will unveil a completely new look by nemaworkshop. Inspired by some of DC’s most famed icons, the newly reimagined space will include nods to the Capitol building with large scale wall art featuring W’s glamorous version of U.S. presidents.
Follow @WHotels on Twitter.
About W Hotels Worldwide
W Hotels is a contemporary, design-led lifestyle brand and the industry innovator with 45 hotels and retreats, including 16 W-branded residences, in the most vibrant cities and exotic destinations around the world. Inspiring, iconic, innovative and influential, W Hotels provides the ultimate in insider access, offering a unique mix of cutting-edge design and passions around fashion, music and entertainment. W Hotels offers a holistic lifestyle experience that is integrated into the brand’s sensibility through contemporary restaurant concepts, glamorous entertainment experiences, stylish retail concepts, signature spas and inspiring residences. With more than 14 years of proven success, W Hotels is on track to reach 60 hotels by 2017. W Hotels have been announced for Milan, Shanghai, Beijing, Bogota, Abu Dhabi, Mumbai, Dubai, Jakarta, Panama, Muscat, Suzhou, Changsha, New Delhi, Kuala Lumpur, and Sante Fe, Mexico, while upcoming W Retreats include Goa and Mexico’s Riviera Maya. For more information, visit www.whotels.com or www.facebook.com/whotels. To live the W Hotels lifestyle 24/7/365, visit www.wresidences.com. Follow @WHotels on Twitter and Instagram.