FORT WAYNE, Ind.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Extension Healthcare, the leader in alarm safety and event response solutions, announced today that it has released a two-part white paper to aid hospitals in complying with The Joint Commission’s National Patient Safety Goal on clinical alarm safety. Accrediting hospitals have until July 1, 2014 to establish clinical alarm safety as a hospital priority.
One study conducted at The Johns Hopkins Hospital found that a 15-bed unit experienced an average of 942 alarms per day with a critical alarm sounding every 90 seconds. In a Sentinel Event Alert published in April 2013, The Joint Commission estimated that between 85 and 99 percent of alarm signals do not require clinical intervention. As a result of the increased presence of non-actionable alarms, alerts and interruptions, nurses are increasingly experiencing “alarm fatigue.”
The Joint Commission also reported that 98 hospitals recorded alarm-related events between January 2009 and June 2012 – 80 resulted in death and 13 in permanent loss of function. The new National Patient Safety Goal aimed at improving clinical alarm safety recognizes a frequent and persistent problem and offers guidance to hospitals for approaching it.
In this white paper series, readers will learn:
- How an enterprise alarm management and event response platform solves a number of common clinical pain points
- How clinical context separates next generation alarm systems management from the first generation notification middleware that preceded it
- How hospitals are taking action today in compliance with The Joint Commission's National Patient Safety Goal on clinical alarms
- How to measure the value of an advanced alarm management and event response platform
- How a comprehensive approach to managing alerts, alarms, and interruptions can help create a safer and more efficient working environment for nurses, and a quieter healing environment for patients
To learn more, download the two-part white paper - Nix the Noise: Managing Alarms, Alerts and Interruptions.
About Extension Healthcare
Extension Healthcare is leading the industry into the next generation of clinical alarm safety systems. Extension has merged advanced alarm management software with an innovative communications approach that enables clinical collaboration to occur in response to patient-related critical events via event driven secure text messaging and voice. The Extension Engage™ solution provides an advanced clinical rules and workflow engine that delivers intelligent notifications based on key contextual alarm, patient, and care team data. These intelligent notifications are securely routed to the appropriate staff members via their preferred communications device to support informed clinical engagement across the complete hospital enterprise. Through Extension Engage, clinicians can instantly initiate informed responses to critical events through secure text response and voice call and engage their patients and other members of the care team from any location. Extension Engage Medical Device Alarm Notification has been granted FDA 510k Class II clearance for secondary notification.
Follow Extension Healthcare on the web for regular updates: