WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The agencies responsible for food safety in Canada have released the findings of their latest surveys on canned foods and beverages, providing clear evidence that BPA’s use in metal packaging does not present a risk to people. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) released its most recent canned food surveys that found undetectable levels of BPA in 98.5 percent of cans tested, and Health Canada affirmed the trace levels detected in the remaining 1.5 percent of the samples to be safe.
“Yet again, the safety of BPA in food packaging has been reaffirmed; this time by the Canadian government based on thorough testing of a wide variety of canned foods and beverages,” stated Dr. John Rost, Chairman of the North American Metal Packaging Alliance, Inc. (NAMPA). “With results showing that virtually all the canned food products had no detectable BPA, these findings support the conclusions of regulatory agencies worldwide that epoxy can liners made with BPA are safe and do not pose a health risk to consumers of any age.”
According to the report, CFIA’s survey included 403 samples of canned food products collected from retail stores in 11 Canadian cities from April 2011 through March 2012. BPA was not detected in 98.5 percent of the survey samples. While BPA was detected in six samples from the survey, the concentration of BPA was so low that it would require the consumption of approximately 50 servings each day of each food product to show any measurable safety impact. Upon reviewing the findings of CFIA’s survey, Health Canada affirmed that 100 percent of the food samples were safe.
“This survey is a welcome addition to the volume of research already affirming BPA’s safety,” Dr. Rost added. “This Canadian finding should give consumers added confidence that canned foods continue to be a safe and healthy option to provide nutritious meals to their families.”
The North American Metal Packaging Alliance, Inc., and its members support sound science and trust the scientific review process that has protected our food supply for decades. For further information, visit www.metal-pack.org.