ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Some believe any weather app will do. The Weather Channel® begs to differ. A new The Weather Channel App for iPhone is for true weather enthusiasts who want a full view of the weather with the expertise, technology and scale of The Weather Channel.
Available from iTunes today, the app’s new design and interface make it easy to use. A new social feature lets fans report your local conditions – you help improve the forecast.
“We’ve redesigned the app to create a more streamlined view with better data, more context and a participatory experience for our users,” said Kevin Doerr, senior vice president of digital products, The Weather Channel. “Our mobile users want real-time weather, and our new crowd sourcing will provide a deeper layer of data about what’s happening around them right now.”
Become your own weather forecaster with The Weather Channel
The Weather Channel App for iPhone introduces Social Weather. Report and share your weather conditions or see what other people in your area are saying. The app finds and improves the forecast for hard-to-predict spots.
More data points mean a more accurate forecast, and The Weather Channel has the most data. Details come from proprietary models, official government sources worldwide, Weather Underground’s network of 33,000 personal weather stations, and now crowd-sourced weather reports via mobile app.
Enjoy your best day outside with a new design and new features
- Find weather faster – A beautiful new design and simple interface aligns to the iOS7 look. The radar map loads faster and is smoother than ever.
- Discover deeper, more engaging content – With new navigation, swipe left to right for your saved locations, or swipe up and down to view detailed forecasts and news. A vertical scroll unveils current conditions, hourly and 10-day forecasts, radar, video, news and more.
- Get the info you need – Tap on the circle on the main screen for current details – “feels like” temperature, wind, dew point, humidity, visibility, pressure, UV index, and sunrise and sunset times.
- Help improve the forecast – Social Weather lets fans report your local conditions, or take and share a photo of your current weather.
- Plan your day, no matter the season – Helpful tools give airport delays for travel, flu reports, pollen alerts and more.
- Stay safe in severe weather – During extreme events, your entire app will change to tell you the full story.
- Expect a difference – The app even has a new icon on your device home screen, but from the same trusted resource.
- Enjoy “Our Favorite Things” – See the best stories, social feeds and show clips from The Weather Channel network such as AMHQ with Sam Champion.
The app still gives current conditions and forecasts you trust, past and future radar maps, severe Push alerts and badges for your area, the latest news and videos, and global language support. The app supports iOS 6.0 and above.
The Weather Channel App for iPhone, gives you all the information you need – and gets your input – to help enjoy your best day outside with the most accurate and actionable forecast available. After all, when you see the world through weather, “It’s Amazing Out There.” Check out the new app, available from iTunes today or learn more with this fun demo video.
The Weather Company: Where the World Gets its Weather
Through The Weather Channel, weather.com, Weather Underground, Intellicast.com and third-party publishing partners, the company provides millions of people every day with the world's best weather forecasts, content and data, connecting with them through television, online, mobile and tablet screens. Through WSI and Weather Central, the company delivers superior professional weather services for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. The Weather Company is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.weather.com/press.