NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Today, Engadget officially opens the application process for its third-ever Insert Coin: New Challengers competition, aimed at helping to make inventors’ dreams a reality. The contest brings together Engadget editors, readers and a panel of expert judges to help choose consumer tech’s next great gadget.
Inaugural competition winners, Ziphius, claimed both the Reader’s Choice and the Judge’s Choice at the first-ever Expand in San Francisco in 2013. Ziphius won a total of $25,000 in prizes and successfully secured full Kickstarter funding after its debut. Later that same year in New York, winners of the Judge's Choice and Reader's Choice awards from the second Insert Coin: New Challengers competition were DIWire and GrowCubes, also awarded a total of $25,000.
Aspiring inventors are invited to join their ranks by submitting their projects here from now until 11:59 p.m. ET on September 26, 2014. Prizes include cash to fund the winning project, an Engadget review and the chance to debut onstage in front of audience members, influencers and press at Expand New York on November 7-8, 2014.
Additional key dates include:
- 20 contenders announced—October 8
- Open online voting—October 8 through October 15
- 10 semi-finalists announced—October 17
- 10 semi-finalists will receive tickets to Expand NY, exhibition space on the show floor, a chance to demo projects live on stage and to an online audience of millions and a $1,000 travel stipend to help cover costs while appearing at the event.
- One Judges’ Choice winner will receive $10,000 and a product review on Engadget
- One Readers’ Choice winner will receive $15,000 and a product review on Engadget
For Insert Coin 2014, projects can be in any of the following stages of development: pre-crowdfunded, successfully or unsuccessfully post-crowdfunded or currently running a crowdfunding campaign.
Projects cannot have received funding from angel investors or venture firms. Projects traditionally seed- or series-funded, actively seeking such funding or otherwise closing any such round of funding before November 8, 2013 are also ineligible.
Insert Coin Rules
- Existing products/updates to existing products will not be accepted
- Products must fall within Engadget's coverage scope, as determined by Sponsor
- Products must have a hardware component and not be purely software or Web services in origin
- Inventors who are selected as semi-finalists will need a working prototype or other presentation for a team of Engadget editors ahead of the event
- Simulations or product renderings will not suffice to enter Insert Coin; what will be shown to us must be functional
- No products from major manufacturers will be accepted
- Company must have announced its product after the submission for the last Insert Coin competition closed (September 27, 2013)
- Company must not have shipped any products to customers
For the full legalese, please read the Official Rules. Most notably, in addition to the above, you must be 13 years of age or older and be a legal resident in the US or Canada (excluding Quebec).
If you have questions about the contest, its rules or whether your project meets the submission criteria, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the latest information about speakers, exhibitors, and event news please stay tuned to the Engadget Expand hub.
About Engadget Expand
Engadget Expand is designed to connect consumer electronics enthusiasts with the products and people they care most about. Expand New York, an immersive, hands-on experience, will feature the Insert Coin competition for inventors, exclusive and engaging sessions with consumer electronics luminaries, and showfloor exhibits with the latest technology. The event will take place November 7-8, 2014 at the Javits Center in New York.
Interested sponsors should contact email@example.com for more information about being a part of the event. Members of the media who wish to cover the show should inquire with firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about Insert Coin or general event questions, please contact email@example.com.