DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/xhfpfh/pharmapoint_dry) has announced the addition of the "PharmaPoint: Dry Eye Syndrome - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2022" report to their offering.
Significant growth is expected in the DES market from 2012-2022.
2012 DES therapeutic sales to be approximately $1.6 billion across the 9 markets covered in this forecast: US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, China, and India. By the end of the forecast period, sales will grow to $5.5 billion at a CAGR of 12.8%. The majority of the current DES drug sales are in the US although it is not the market with the greatest number of DES patients. DES is a relatively immature market and very few countries have a prescription eye drop on the market.
The US has the top revenue-generating product, Restasis, approved for dry eye patients with total US drug sales for DES reaching almost $1 billion in 2012. The US will remain the most lucrative DES market over the forecast period despite the key patent expiration of Restasis and the approval of several late-stage drugs in competing markets
Major drivers to the growth of the DES market over the forecast period will include:
- The launch of novel pipeline drugs, which are predicted to generate strong uptake, as well as the growth and expansion of already launched products including Restasis, Diquas and Mucosta.
- A global push for increased physician and patient awareness which will increase diagnosis and treatment rates
- A rapidly growing elderly population to broadly expand the patient base.
Major barriers to the growth of the DES market will include:
- Patients self-medicating with artificial tears or home remedies and the severity of their DES worsening before seeking treatment
- Patient compliance is typically very low for DES drugs
- The increasingly crowded DES marketplace will make it more difficult for newer treatments to differentiate themselves from the established agents and achieve significant individual patient share. While the market is not currently crowded, the approval of several new treatments in the next 3 years will make it difficult for late-forecast entrants
Key Topics Covered:
1 Tables & Figures
3 Disease Overview
5 Disease Management
6 Competitive Assessment
7 Opportunity and Unmet Need
8 Pipeline Assessment
9 Current and Future Players
10 Market Outlook
- Alcon (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Novartis AG)
- Santen Pharmaceutical
- Shire/SARcode Bioscience
- Otsuka Holdings
- Can-Fite Biopharma
- Eyegate Pharma
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/xhfpfh/pharmapoint_dry