CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The 8th Annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference continues to pursue new knowledge and innovation in the field of sports analytics. This year’s edition is bringing to Boston industry experts, team owners, coaches, players, academics, and students with a fresh view of the impact of analytics in sports– both on and off the field.
Presented by ESPN, the two-day event being held in Boston’s Hynes Convention Center will feature panels and presentations from top industry professionals and academics. Slated to attend are more than 300 sports industry organizations from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, NCAA, the U.S. Olympic Committee, NASCAR, Major League Gaming, and many more.
In 2013, Forbes crowned it the “Super Bowl of Sports Analytics.” During the two-month period following the 2013 conference, hundreds of thousands of readers, viewers, and podcast listeners were reached by way of more than 200 articles and podcasts in leading publications and online media outlets. In addition, the 2013 conference trended 2nd nationally on Twitter, only behind President Obama. It is the world’s largest conference dedicated to sports analytics and business.
With tickets sold out since early January 2014 and a growing waitlist, those interested in catching the action are invited to view select panels through a live webcast, which can be accessed here: http://www.youtube.com/42analytics. Follow along with tweets @SloanSportsConf and hashtag #ssac14.
The all-star line up of speakers, include:
- Phil Jackson, an NBA Hall of Fame inductee who earned 11 NBA titles as a coach, will join such speakers as:
- Malcolm Gladwell: New York Times best-selling author
- Adam Silver: Commissioner, NBA
- Nate Silver: Statistician, author and founder of FiveThirtyEight
- Kevin Plank: Chief Executive Officer, Under Armour
- Andrew Luck: Quarterback, Indianapolis Colts
- Vivek Ranadivé: Entrepreneur, sports team owner, and MIT alumnus
- Matt Hasselbeck: Three-time Pro Bowl Quarterback
- Edward Tufte: Professor Emeritus, Yale University
An acclaimed roster of top owners, coaches, performers, and executives from the Boston area will include:
- Jonathan Kraft: President, The Kraft Group
- John Henry: Owner, Boston Red Sox
- Wycliffe Grousbeck: Managing Partner, Governor and CEO, Boston Celtics
- Brad Stevens: Head Coach, Boston Celtics
- Tom Grilk: Executive Director of the Boston Marathon, Boston Athletic Association
- Tyler Hamilton: Professional cyclist and Massachusetts native
- James Pallotta: Owner, AS Roma
Several new panels will debut at the 2014 conference. In Athlete Analytics, experts and athletes, including 2013 #1 NFL Draft pick, Andrew Luck will discuss the evolving role of physiological tracking. . Starting a Sports Business will highlight strategies for success in a quickly evolving sports industry. Commissioner’s Perspective featuring Adam Silver has also been added to the roster.
Returning this year is the Research Paper Competition, the world’s largest forum for groundbreaking research in sports. Past contributions have ranged from evaluating players and game strategies to examining the success factors for sports businesses. This year, with over 300+ submissions, the prize money has doubled to $20,000 for the grand prize and $10,000 for the runner up.
Returning sponsors are ESPN, Wasserman Media Group, Ticketmaster, Major League Baseball Advanced Media, StubHub, SAP, KORE Software, Ropes & Gray LLP, CDW, and SAS. New sponsors and knowledge partners are Adidas, Fan Duel, Zebra Technologies, and Catapult, The Rogers Institute, and McKinsey & Company.
The goal of the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference is to provide a forum for industry professionals, executives, leading researchers, and students to discuss the increasing role of analytics in the global sports industry. MIT Sloan is dedicated to fostering growth and innovation in this arena, and hopes to enrich opportunities for learning about the use of analytics in sports via the 2014 conference.
To learn more, please visit: http://www.sloansportsconference.com.