COLUMBUS, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nationwide Insurance and Allied Insurance claims representatives and agents are prepared to assist customers should the predicted winter storm mix cause weather-related damage. As weather alerts and reports from around the country track the storm patterns, Nationwide and Allied have representatives and resources in place to respond quickly to its customers’ needs.
Policyholders with storm damage should call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or contact their local agent. In the event of policyholder needs to file an insurance claim, representatives are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to assist them. To help expedite the process, it is helpful to have a policy number or home address available when the call is placed. Also, make note of any injuries received and any witnesses or police authority contacted in relation to property damage.
Weather services are calling for numerous power outages due to ice. Preparing for a blackout and knowing what to do until power is restored is critical. Nationwide and Allied Insurance offer the following safety tips to prepare for severe weather:
Winter Blackout Tips
Before a blackout:
- Have plenty of flashlights and fresh batteries.
- Store extra clothes and blankets.
- Stock up on extra food and water.
- Have at least a week’s worth of prescription medication on hand.
- Have a first aid kit, list of emergency phone numbers and a corded phone or mobile phone.
- Fill up car gas tanks and have cash on hand.
- Use a surge protector for your electronics.
- Regularly back up critical computer files.
- If you have room, fill jugs of water an inch from the top and keep them in your freezer.
During a blackout:
- Unplug the TV, computer and other electronics to protect them from electrical surges.
- Give each family member a flashlight.
- Have a battery-operated or hand-crank radio.
- Use water sparingly.
- Eat and drink regularly to stay hydrated and help regulate you body temperature.
- Scan the area around your house for down electrical lines. If you see sparks, hear crackling or spot a downed line moving, report it to your electric company – and stay away from it.
- Don't run a generator inside your home.
- Leave one light in the "on" position so you know when power has been restored.
- Keep the refrigerator and freezer closed. A half-full freezer will hold for up to 24 hours, a full one for 48 hours.
- Store milk or other perishables in a cooler on a deck, porch or a garage.
- If using a gas generator or kerosene or gas cook stove, open a window a few inches to keep the house ventilated.
- Place sheets, towels, and other draft stoppers at the bottoms of poorly sealed doors or windows.
After a blackout:
- Once power has been restored, check your frozen and refrigerated items with a thermometer to make sure they are still safe to eat.
- Before plugging in electronic equipment, ensure that the electricity is fully restored.
Allied Insurance is a property and casualty insurer established in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1929. Allied operates in 34 states through a network of independent agents with regional offices in Denver, CO; Des Moines, IA; Lincoln, NE; Gainesville, FL; and Sacramento, CA. Allied has been a member of the Nationwide family of companies since 1998, and is responsible for Nationwide’s independent agency system. Nationwide, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the country’s largest multi-line insurers and financial services organizations. Information is available at www.alliedinsurance.com.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. The company provides customers a full range of insurance and financial services, including auto insurance, motorcycle, boat, homeowners, pet, life insurance, farm, commercial insurance, annuities, mortgages, mutual funds, pensions, long-term savings plans and specialty health services. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com.
Nationwide, On Your Side, Join the Nation and the Nationwide frame mark are service marks of Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.