BILLUND, Denmark--(BUSINESS WIRE)--As mobile technology continues to make its way into education, Futuresource Tech Trends in Education predicts that by 2017 tablets will make up 57% of PC shipments to K-12 classrooms. Today, in celebration of National Digital Learning Day, LEGO Education introduces the company’s first tablet-based application, supporting LEGO Education StoryStarter.
A language arts solution for second- through fifth-grade classes, LEGO Education StoryStarter teaches students the basic mechanics of a well-composed story, making it a great tool for analyzing existing stories, writing new stories, or discussing specific, current topics. The StoryStarter product and software engages students through thinking, creating, and writing by providing visual images to give meaning to a story or topic. It also encourages students with little interest in writing and provides a perfect venue for successful writing dialogue. The accompanying LEGO Education StoryVisualizer software – which integrates digital learning and can be used by students to record, visualize, and publish the stories they have created – supports both PC and Mac environments, as well as the iOS version available today for download with Android version available later this year.
“Students are bringing a variety of mobile devices into the classroom, and this is often viewed as a distraction rather than a huge opportunity,” said Colin Gillespie, President of LEGO Education North America. “With the StoryStarter Visualizer tablet applications, we’ve taken advantage of the opportunity to transform the tablet into another hands-on learning tool for teaching language arts in a creative and collaborative way.”
- The instructions for downloading the software and the app version are accessible via the online LEGO Education tool using an activation code customers will receive upon purchase.
- Features of the tablet software are identical to the downloadable StoryVisualizer software but have been adapted and optimized for a touch screen interface.
- Educators will also be able to download a PDF file of the StoryStarter Curriculum.
- LEGO Education StoryStarter overview video
- LEGO Education StoryStarter product information
- LEGO Education StoryVisualizer on Apple App Store
About LEGO Education
Since 1980, LEGO Education (LEGOeducation.us) has delivered hands-on, curriculum-based resources for teachers and students worldwide. LEGO Education believes a hands-on, minds-on approach helps students actively take ownership of the learning process and develop 21st-century skills such as creative thinking and problem solving through real-life, engaging experiences.
LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2014 The LEGO Group.