MIAMI BEACH, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--On January 7, 2004, ESPN Deportes launched as the Spanish-language television destination for ESPN’s sports fans in the U.S. Today, the brand has transformed to a multimedia business reaching more sports fans than any Spanish-language sports media brand. To commemorate this milestone, ESPN Deportes will celebrate along fans with a special production of more than 12 hours of live programming and content across all platforms live from Miami Beach, Fla. Tuesday, January 7.
The celebration in Miami kicks off at 9:00 a.m. EST with special content produced from the South Beach with ESPN Deportes’ Adriana Monsalve, David Fiatelson, Jorge Ramos and Rosana Franco, to name a few. Programming highlights to include the live production of Raza Deportiva and Jorge Ramos y Su Banda - both simulcast on ESPN Deportes Radio; as well as a special live edition of Nacion ESPN, presenting the best of the last decade. Special guests to include MLB Detroit Tigers’ Miguel Cabrera, boxing legend Roberto Duran, Mexican soccer star Pavel Pardo and Mexican actress Kate del Castillo. Additionally, ESPN Deportes’ studio shows and ESPN Deportes Radio will broadcast live segments from the beach throughout the day; and ESPNDeportes.com will present live video streams, photos and video interviews with special guests onsite.
“This anniversary marks a series of unprecedented accomplishments for ESPN Deportes,” said Lino Garcia, ESPN Deportes General Manager. “In only one decade we have built and established a sports brand that serves Hispanic fans with culturally relevant content across many platforms. We are very proud of our achievements and continued growth, and we look forward to greater success for years to come.”
A Decade of Growth: Highlights
In January of 2004, ESPN Deportes went on-air with Somos ESPN Deportes, a show that previewed key programming and featured an array of Latino sports stars. The special introduction was followed by the inaugural Spanish edition of SportsCenter and a live telecast of the NBA game between the Golden State Warriors and the Dallas Mavericks.
During its first year, ESPN Deportes showcased more than 200 live events and a handful of studio programming. Today, ESPN Deportes is the only multimedia Spanish-language sports brand, offering the most diverse, culturally relevant content across all platforms, including television, online, radio, mobile, print and social, offering about 1,000 original events per year and reaching 11 million sports fans every week.
ESPN Deportes Television
- The network currently out-delivers its main competitors across all demographics by 10 percent in Hispanic Households, 12 percent in M18-34 and 9 percent in M18-49 – since nationally measured (source: Nielsen, 04/28/08-12/15/13, M-Su 6am-6am, live+sd, Hispanic Impressions)
- Most watched and highest-rated Spanish-language sports cable network for four straight years (source: Nielsen – 2008-2012)
- More than 500 LIVE events are scheduled for the year – more than doubled from launch
- Most diverse original content with more than 119 hours of news and information studio programming every week
ESPN Deportes Radio
- Launched a year after ESPN Deportes television, the radio network has grown from a handful of affiliates to the only 24/7 Spanish-language sports radio network in the country reaching over 1MM listeners every month with 47 affiliates across the country, covering 80 percent of the U.S. Hispanic market
- The radio network currently offers the most comprehensive offering of live sports available in the U.S. -- more than 300 live sports events scheduled every year
- ESPN Deportes.com – Launched in 2000 as the first ESPN Deportes brand available to fans in the U.S. and Latin America, the site has since grown to lead in Spanish-language sports category with 4.1 million U.S. users every week (source: ESPN All Day Every Day, Spring 2013 (GfK)).
- ESPN Mobile ranked No. 1 among Hispanics across the mobile web and sports apps for total minutes (332 million) and unique visitors (5.2 million), and has increased YOY +12% in unique visitors and +40% in total minutes among the Hispanic audience (source: Nielsen MediaView 2013)
- In addition, ESPN Deportes has expanded its digital assets over the last two years with the launch of ESPN Deportes+, a broadband channel with exclusive live events available on ESPN3 and ESPNDeportes.com, will air approximately 500 live events this year
- ESPN Sync, the first Spanish-language sports second-screen app
- ESPN Deportes now available on WatchESPN
ESPN Deportes La Revista
- Debuting on newsstands in 2005, the magazine recently increased its circulation to 250,000 via an alliance with impreMedia. Today, it continues to be the only general sports Spanish-language magazine in the U.S.
About ESPN DEPORTES
ESPN Deportes is the leading multimedia, Spanish-language sports brand dedicated to providing the widest variety of sports to the U.S. Hispanic sports fan via television, online, print, radio and wireless. ESPN Deportes television, the highest rated and most watched Spanish-language sports cable network is currently available in 5.7 million Hispanic HHs. Sports media assets include ESPN Deportes and ESPN Deportes HD television, which offer unparalleled Spanish-language sports programming, featuring more than 2,500 live and/or original hours of sports programming presented annually -- the network is also available on WatchESPN; ESPN Deportes Radio, the only around-the-clock national Spanish-language sports radio network in the U.S. and currently available in 10 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic radio markets and also distributed on SIRIUS Satellite Radio; ESPNDeportes.com, the #1 Spanish-language sports website among Spanish-preferred fans in the U.S.; ESPN Deportes La Revista, the first general sports Spanish-language magazine in the U.S.; ESPN Deportes Mobile, the brand’s emerging business which offers Spanish-language sports content to fans via wireless devices; and ESPN Deportes+, a digital vertical available on ESPNDeportes.com that provides the most comprehensive offering of live sports in Spanish on a multi-screen network available on computers, smartphones, tablets and Xbox.
To Tweet: http://es.pn/198cltB
Photo Gallery: http://es.pn/1e0Nsxy
ESPN Deportes Chronology: http://es.pn/1cTqc6k
Spanish version: http://es.pn/198cGN0