SANTA ANA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) (NASDAQ: UEIC), the worldwide leader in universal remote control technologies and control interfaces, is coming to the International Consumer Electronics Show for the 22nd consecutive year in 2014, highlighting the latest innovation in control technology for home entertainment.
Key product and technology demonstrations will include a host of embedded technology consumer accessories designed to enhance the control and entertainment experience. Highlights will include:
UEI QuickSet™ 2.4
The latest generation of QuickSet follows up on the success of the UEI platform that is currently deployed in over 70 million devices around the world including set-top boxes, connected TVs, media devices, game consoles, smartphones, and tablets. UEI QuickSet 2.4 delivers the simplest and most intuitive universal remote control setup and control experience available today. This technology enables an AV device remote control to be setup and programmed to control virtually any television or entertainment device in the home, with minimal, if any, user input.
UEI QuickSet 2.4 includes features such as:
- automated device setup using HDMI-CEC connections to automatically identify the device brand and model number of connected devices without requiring user input;
- automated device detection, and IR control, of IP connected AV devices;
- enhanced control code lookup feature combining search by service provider and set-top box manufacturer;
- optimized setup maps that deliver a consumer-friendly user interface to determine the exact control code for the system; and
- a cloud-based service to ensure access to a real-time device code database that is continuously updated with the latest control codes for the newest devices on the market, making the universal control interface easy to setup and future proof.
UEI Control Plus™
Control Plus simplifies the home entertainment setup and control experience across all AV devices. This technology solution addresses the most common consumer challenges in universal AV control such as remote mode confusion, and switching to the right input. With UEI Control Plus technology, consumers can simply plug in a new device, have it discovered and setup automatically, and have activities such as “Watch TV” automatically enabled from a single universal remote control.
Key Features of Control Plus Include:
- Automated Setup – automatically detects and sets up most IP and HDMI-connected devices.
- Dynamic Key Mapping – remote buttons automatically map to appropriate devices based on the active content source device.
- One Touch View (OTV) – a single button press instantly gets the user to their chosen content.
- Smart device integration – brings universal control into second screen apps.
Advanced Control Features Utilizing RF
Home entertainment control continues to evolve as demands from consumers, and additional device requirements, have driven advances in navigation, design, and two-way interactions between devices and remote controls. UEI is the industry leader in RF solutions, with over 30 million RF control units shipped in 2013 based on standards such as RF4CE, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Deployed solutions include control technologies for the leading brands in home entertainment such as Panasonic, Sony, Comcast, DIRECTV, Roku, and others.
Key highlights of some of the advanced control feature demonstrations include:
- Touch Pad Control – experience the Viera Touch Pad Controller from Panasonic especially designed for web page browsing, designed to fit snugly in your hand. Scroll and click for easy navigation similar to a PC experience.
- Content Mirroring made easy with NFC – see how Sony utilizes NFC and RF in a controller to easily mirror content from a smart phone to the TV.
- Motion and Downstream Audio – implementations of Bluetooth and Bluetooth Smart enabling advanced features and time-tested performance.
Another annual tradition for UEI at CES is the DESIGNOVATION showcase, blending design and user experience to create products that are both aesthetically beautiful and functional to ensure successful product adoption. This year at CES, UEI will present three new design concepts aimed at addressing real user needs and improving the home entertainment experience through innovation in design.
Invited guests are welcome to visit Universal Electronics and experience live demonstrations at booth 20612 in South Hall 1 at the International Consumer Electronics Show, January 7-10, 2014.
About Universal Electronics
Founded in 1986, Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) is the global leader in wireless control technology for the connected home. UEI designs, develops, and delivers innovative solutions that enable consumers to control entertainment devices, digital media, and home systems. The company’s broad portfolio of patented technologies and database of infrared control software have been adopted by many Fortune 500 companies in the consumer electronics, subscription broadcast, and computing industries. UEI sells and licenses wireless control products through distributors and retailers under the One For All® brand name. More information is available at www.uei.com.
All trademarks appearing herein are the property of their respective owners.
Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements that are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Words and expressions reflecting something other than historical fact are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements involve a number of risks and uncertainties, including the timely development, delivery and market acceptance of products and technologies identified in this release; the continued penetration and growth of next generation consumer technologies identified in this release; and other factors described in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The actual results that the Company achieves may differ materially from any forward-looking statement due to such risks and uncertainties. The Company undertakes no obligations to revise or update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release.