CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Bauer Hockey, the world’s leading manufacturer of ice hockey equipment, today unveiled BAUER OD1N, the most revolutionary line of equipment ever introduced to the sport of hockey. The equipment, which took more than two years to develop and has never been seen before, was specifically designed for a select few of the world’s most elite-level athletes. Those athletes are expected to begin wearing the new product this month and during international play in February.
The BAUER OD1N product line includes a re-imagined hockey skate, a fully personalized protective body suit and an ultra lightweight, customized goal pad constructed with materials never before used in hockey. Each of the products was designed to provide a significant on-ice performance advantage that is scientifically proven.
“We challenged our Research, Design and Development team in St Jerome, Quebec to create the ‘concept car’ of hockey equipment,” said Kevin Davis, CEO and President, Bauer Performance Sports. “We asked them, ‘What if?’ What if we took away all the limitations we normally have, like materials, cost and commercialization process and focused solely on creating equipment that can be scientifically proven to make players better. The team focused on this challenge for more than two years and the result is BAUER OD1N.”
The BAUER OD1N product was developed alongside some of the game’s best players, including Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Nic Backstrom, Alex Ovechkin, Claude Giroux and Henrik Lundqvist. All six players played instrumental roles in the development process and continue to work with the company to fine tune the product in advance of international competition in February.
“Today’s hockey equipment is already so good, that it’s tough to imagine that there is still another leap to take as far as technology, but that’s exactly what Bauer did,” said Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks and Team Canada. “As a hockey player, the last thing you want to do on the ice is worry about your equipment. With this new equipment, it’s not even an after-thought because you feel like you’re not wearing anything.”
Lundqvist, the lone goaltender selected by Bauer to take part in the project, has been wearing the BAUER OD1N goal pads since late November. The New York Rangers netminder is once again expected to be the starting goaltender for Team Sweden in February.
“They are so much lighter than the old pads, you feel faster and you have more energy,” Lundqvist said. “For me, when I play the game, it’s all about quickness and reaction time. To have a pad that helps me in those areas of my game is a major advantage for me. ”
Highlights of the BAUER OD1N product include:
BAUER OD1N Skate
The BAUER OD1N skate is the lightest hockey skate ever created and features the first ever fully composite holder. Measurable On-Ice Performance Benefit: By wearing the BAUER OD1N skate, a player is not only faster, but saves more than 1,000 pounds of lifted weight over the course of a regulation hockey game. Other features of the skate include:
- Lightest skate to ever be developed. Nearly a third less weight of previously lightest Bauer skate.
- Customized carbon composite blade holder creates lightest possible design and increases overall energy transfer, providing players with a quicker first step.
- Re-designed and engineered boot construction optimizes overall weight reduction.
- Boot features lightweight CURV® Composite material for extreme reduction in weight and increased support.
- Internal boot construction features proprietary materials never before used in skate development.
BAUER OD1N Protective Body Suit
The BAUER OD1N Protective Body Suit is comprised of a two-piece base layer system with ultra lightweight exposed protective pieces, creating a level of mobility, protection and weight reduction never seen in hockey. Measurable On-Ice Performance Benefit: In a 50-foot sprint (blue line to blue line), a player wearing the BAUER OD1N Protective Suit will cross the finish line nearly a foot faster compared to traditional protective equipment. Other features include:
- Reduction of more than four (4) pounds of overall weight – more than one-third the weight carried by players wearing traditional protective equipment.
- Each protective suit is created using an optical body scan of each athlete for fully customized fit and protection.
- Two-piece base layer system integrated with internal padding traditionally found on the inside of protective equipment (shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards).
- Protective pieces developed from proprietary blend of composite material and high-end foams to dramatically reduce weight while increasing mobility and protection.
- Unlike traditional materials used in today’s protective equipment, the high-end foams and composites can be machine customized to each individual player.
BAUER OD1N Goal Pad
The BAUER OD1N Goal Pad is the first goal pad to utilize an outer foam layer, creating the lightest elite-level pad ever made. In addition to its lightweight properties, the pad features fully customized rebound control tailored to the specific needs of the athlete. Measurable On-Ice Performance Benefit: By wearing the new OD1N goal pad, a goalie can move from the goal line to the top of the crease a full inch faster than when he is wearing traditional pads. A goalie also saves more than 180 pounds of lifted weight over the course of a regulation hockey game. Other features of the pad include:
- More than one-third reduction in overall pad weight. The lightest elite-level pad ever created at four pounds.
- Ability to customize rebound control by inserting different foams in strategic areas of the pad, providing custom rebound control unavailable in any other pad.
- Outer pad shell comprised of one, seamless foam cover developed from materials never used before in goal pad construction. Traditional pads utilize an outer layer comprised of multiple parts sewn together.
BAUER OD1N derives from the word Odin, the Russian word for one. Odin is also the Norse god of battle, wisdom and learning.
Although not yet available in stores, Bauer Hockey expects to utilize several of the advanced technologies created for the BAUER OD1N products in future consumer product launches.
To view a replay of the BAUER OD1N press event please visit http://www.webcaster4.com/Webcast/Page/227/3003. To download the digital media kit, including pictures, b-roll, athlete interviews and more, visit http://highroad.com/clients/bauer/.
ABOUT BAUER HOCKEY
Bauer Hockey is the world’s most recognized designer, marketer and manufacturer of hockey equipment. Founded in Kitchener, Ontario in 1927, Bauer Hockey developed the first skate with a blade attached to a boot, forever changing the game of hockey. Since then, Bauer Hockey has continued to develop the most sought after products in the industry, including the widely successful SUPREME®, VAPOR® and NEXUS® lines of products. Bauer Performance Sports Ltd., the parent company of Bauer Hockey, is a publicly-traded company on the Toronto Stock Exchange whose affiliates market products under the BAUER, MISSION, MAVERIK, CASCADE, INARIA and COMBAT brand names. For more information, visit Bauer Hockey’s website at www.BAUER.com.