CAMPBELL, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2013 SON and Optimization Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey, for which Infonetics interviewed wireless, incumbent, and competitive operators around the world about their network optimization strategies and self-organizing network (SON) deployment plans.
“Mobile operators know they need to keep network operating expenses under control, and they’re placing a big bet on SON while acknowledging the complexity of and their unease with automation that minimizes human intervention and maximizes computerization,” notes Stéphane Téral, principal analyst for mobile infrastructure and carrier economics at Infonetics Research.
“Nonetheless, the ultimate goal is to use cell planning and field testing for zero-touch, self-healing networks,” Téral continues, “But it’ll take some time to get there. SON’s just started, after all.”
SON AND OPTIMIZATION SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- 87% of operators participating in Infonetics’ survey have deployed SON in their networks, up 27% from a year ago
- SON is building momentum in 3.5G network optimization: A few large incumbents have already deployed SON as the key optimization tool for their 3.5G networks, and this trend appears unstoppable
- A large majority of operator respondents view “overall implementation” as the #1 technical challenge when implementing SON
- Two-thirds of respondents are evaluating centralized SON (C-SON) vendors Celcite and InfoVista to manage their distributed SON (D-SON) LTE networks
- By 2015, 100% of those surveyed plan to use network- and handset/subscriber-based tools for mobile network optimization, reflecting the growing influence of SON on network self-learning
SON SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its 28-page SON and optimization survey, Infonetics interviewed independent wireless, incumbent, and competitive operators in EMEA, North America, Asia, and Latin America about their network optimization strategies and SON deployment plans. The study provides insights into SON features, drivers, implementation barriers, technical challenges, and vendors. Operators surveyed together represent 1/3 of the world’s telecom capex and carrier revenue and 25% of all mobile subscribers. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
- Infonetics’ latest Mobile and Wireless research brief: http://bit.ly/1bLu2K7
- Infonetics projects data center and enterprise SDN market will top $3 billion by 2017
- As operators strive for “zero touch networks,” optimization/self-organizing market grows
- $8.5 billion to be spent on carrier WiFi equipment over next 5 years
- Service provider capex increasing 6% in 2013, ignited by BRICs; revenue to hit $2 trillion
- DAS a big and bumpy — and still growing — $2-billion dollar business
- China mobilizing for huge LTE rollout; Mobile infrastructure growth braking in Japan
- Infonetics survey identifies operators’ LTE deployment challenges, top LTE vendors
- Small cell ramp won’t happen this year
RECENT & UPCOMING MARKET FORECASTS
- Infonetics’ new 2014 Market Research Lineup
- 2G, 3G, 4G Mobile Infrastructure & Subscribers - 3Q13 Edition (Dec. 3)
- 3G & 4G Mobile Broadband Devices & Subscribers - 3Q13 Edition (Dec. 10)
- 2G, 3G, 4G Mobile Services & Subscribers: Voice, SMS/MMS & Broadband (Dec. 12)
- Telecom & Datacom Market Drivers (Dec. 14)
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- Monetizing Subscriber Data to Drive Big Revenue (View on demand)
- Small Cells Reality Check (View on demand)
- The Business Rationale for M2M (View on demand)
- Finding the Right KPIs to Optimize LTE and LTE-Advanced Networks (2014: Sponsor)
- Distributed Antenna Systems: What's Next (2014: Sponsor)
- Mobile Network Optimization: What's Left? (2014: Sponsor)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Midwest, L. America: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.