PHOENIX--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The new year offers a fresh start and is the perfect time to focus on better health. SCAN Health Plan Arizona is helping seniors do just that with free exercise classes, educational presentations and cooking demonstrations.
They will be held at the SCAN Health Education Center at 1400 East Southern Avenue, Suite 735, in Tempe. Anyone interested in attending may call 855-901-7226, ext. 3420, to register. All events are free and open to SCAN members as well as the general public; however, space is limited, so pre-registration is required.
SCAN’s exercise classes are offered in 10-week sessions that allow participants to increase their skill and endurance. Participants are asked to commit to the entire session. Classes beginning in January 2014 include:
- Tai Chi & Qigong – A form of moving energy derived from Chinese martial arts. It consists of a series of slow, fluid movements done softly and gently using breathing techniques for healthy biorhythms. Class will take place from 9-10 a.m. every Wednesday, from Jan. 8 through March 12.
- Yoga for Every Body – A gentle yoga class specifically designed for seniors with movement disorders. Participants will develop an overall sense of well-being, improved mobility and confidence. Class will take place from 9:30-10:30 a.m. every Thursday, from Jan. 9 through March 12.
- Zumba Plus – A Latin-inspired dance and fitness class for those 50 plus. Class will take place from 10:45-11:45 a.m. every Thursday, from Jan. 9 through March 12.
Health Education Presentations
SCAN will offer health education presentations from 9-10 a.m. every Tuesday in January. These include:
- Jan. 7 – Nutrition Bingo – An entertaining way to learn and remember important health facts.
- Jan. 14 – Bites & Stings of Desert Critters – A look at the critters that live in the desert, including a discussion about which are poisonous and what to do after a bite or a sting.
- Jan. 21 – 24 Hours in a Poison Control Center – An overview of what the Poison Control Center has to offer, when to call and what to expect.
- Jan. 28 – Using Medication Wisely – The signs, symptoms and potential risk factors associated with prescription, over-the-counter and herbal medication use.
On Jan. 22, from 10:30-noon, SCAN will offer “Resolution Recipes.” This presentation features high-protein, low-fat recipes to help seniors improve their diets. They’ll even discover the secret to healthier snacks for Super Bowl Sunday.
Special Event: Feng Shui Workshop
On Jan. 29 from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., seniors will learn the history and philosophy behind Feng Shui and discover how to enhance their homes, prosperity, relationships and health using the 3,000-year-old techniques.
About SCAN Health Plan Arizona
For 35 years SCAN Health Plan has been focusing exclusively on the unique needs of seniors and others on Medicare. The company currently has nearly 150,000 members in California and Arizona. Further information may be obtained at scanhealthplan.com or on Facebook at facebook.com/scanhealthplanarizona.
Y0057_SCAN_8406_2013 IA 12162013