MILWAUKEE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Assurant Health, through the Assurant Foundation, today announces grants totaling $240,000 to eight local agencies that address hunger, homelessness, and health and wellness for at-risk children and youth.
“Improving the well-being of children and families through partnerships and community outreach is the legacy of Assurant Health. We are proud to partner with and support the important work of these eight charities that play such an important role in our Milwaukee community," said Adam Lamnin, president and chief executive officer of Assurant Health.
One of the agencies, Milwaukee Rescue Mission’s Joy House, provides immediate aid, such as food, shelter and clothing, as well as comprehensive recovery programs. “Of Milwaukee’s 100,000 adults living in poverty, 71 percent are women. They’re often single moms with young kids and have no place to turn. Many are victims of domestic violence,” said Patrick Vanderburgh, executive director of Milwaukee Rescue Mission. “This generous grant from the Assurant Foundation will provide emergency shelter and hot meals for one month for 100 women and children in need.”
With a mission focused on the care of at-risk youth, the agency Pathfinders also provides essential services such as food and shelter. “The grant from the Assurant Foundation will provide much needed funding for Pathfinders’ homeless youth services,” said Tim Baack, interim president and CEO of Pathfinders. “These programs help mitigate some of the risks of sexual exploitation, lack of housing and inadequate independent living skills experienced by the more than 6,000 runaway, homeless, street-dependent and transient youth Pathfinders serves each year.”
Here is the full list of grant recipients:
- Guest House, $50,000 for the GATES housing program for homeless individuals.
- Hunger Task Force, $50,000 for infant formula, milk and cereal to feed children, from infants to age 2, for one year.
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission, $50,000 to feed and shelter 100 women and children for a month.
- Pathfinders, Inc., $40,000 to support a drop-in center that provides activities and a safe haven for homeless teens.
- Penfield Children’s Center, $20,000 to improve behavioral health for at-risk children under 6 years old.
- Children’s Hospital Clinic inside COA Golden Center, $10,000 to provide funding for immunizations and flu shots.
- PEARLS for Teen Girls, $10,000 to help reduce teen pregnancy, and increase high school graduation and college entry rates.
- Ronald McDonald House, $10,000 to aid in their mission to provide a “home away from home” for families whose lives have been disrupted as a result of their child’s illness or injury.
About the Assurant Foundation
Established three decades ago by Assurant, Inc., a specialty insurance provider, The Assurant Foundation provides financial assistance to charitable organizations to help improve the quality of life in the communities where we live and work. The Assurant Foundation’s charitable giving focuses on health and wellness, homes and property, and local hometown help in the communities Assurant serves.
Assurant Health is the brand name for a family of health insurance products focused on providing a variety of affordable plan choices to consumers. The portfolio of health care products includes major medical, supplemental and fixed-benefit plans for individuals, families and small employers. Assurant Health is committed to providing access to convenient health care delivery, easy-to-understand products and value-added services that help customers better manage their health care dollars. Assurant Health's products are underwritten and issued by John Alden Life Insurance Company, Union Security Life Insurance Company and Time Insurance Company, which has been in business since 1892. More information about Assurant Health is at www.assuranthealth.com.
Assurant Health is part of Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $29 billion in assets and $8 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. www.assurant.com.