PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The holiday season is here… and with the holidays comes decorating! PECO offers helpful information to get in the holiday spirit while staying safe.
The following tips and suggestions will help ensure a safe holiday season:
- Only decorate with lights that have a U/L testing agency label. Check wires, plugs and sockets for defects. Remember: If in doubt, throw them out.
- Do not overload outlets and extension cords.
- Don’t run electric cords under carpet, seat cushions or anywhere they may be crushed or broken.
- Keep electric cords and extension cords out of the reach of children.
- Turn off all decorative lights when going to bed or leaving the house.
- Be sure decorative lights used outside are approved for outdoor use.
- Outdoor lights should be hung with insulated staples or hooks rather than nails or tacks.
- When decorating outdoors, be aware of all power lines. Don’t work near overhead power lines or anywhere there is a possibility of contacting an overhead power line, either directly or indirectly with a ladder or other piece of equipment. Do not string lights on outdoor trees that are growing into or near power lines – entire trees may become energized if lights come in contact with a power line.
PECO wishes all its customers a safe, bright and energy efficient holiday season!
Based in Philadelphia, PECO is an electric and natural gas utility subsidiary of Exelon Corporation (NYSE: EXC). PECO serves 1.6 million electric and 497,000 natural gas customers in southeastern Pennsylvania and employs about 2,400 people in the region. PECO delivered 76.5 billion cubic feet of natural gas and 37.5 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity in 2012. Founded in 1881, PECO is one of the Greater Philadelphia Region's most active corporate citizens, providing leadership, volunteer and financial support to numerous arts and culture, education, environmental, economic development and community programs and organizations.
If you are a member of the media and would like to receive PECO news releases via e-mail please send your e-mail address to PECO.Communication@exeloncorp.com