WESTFORD, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sonus Networks (Nasdaq: SONS), a global leader in SIP communications, today announced the promotion of Tony Scarfo to executive vice president of Technology and Business Development, effective immediately.
Scarfo, who joined Sonus in September 2011, has been responsible for the company’s strategic expansion of its session border controller (SBC) portfolio. SBCs sit at the intersection of service provider and enterprise networks to help disparate voice, video and real-time collaboration platforms work together seamlessly. Under Scarfo’s tenure, Sonus has emerged as the fastest-growing brand of SBCs and offers the industry’s only complete suite of SBCs that span from the core of the network to the edge. Over the past two years, Sonus has garnered four ‘product of the year’ awards and been named as a ‘Leader’ in two consecutive Gartner Magic Quadrants for SBCs.
By leveraging the rapid adoption of SIP-based solutions, Sonus SBCs help enterprises and service providers not only manage, but also actually leverage the transition to emerging technology trends such as BYOD, Cloud communications and Software Defined Networking/Network Functions Virtualization (SDN/NFV). Scarfo has helped guide the expansion of the Sonus portfolio to:
- Offer a complete range of Microsoft Lync qualified SBCs and SBAs (secure branch appliance). As a result, enterprises have a single source to unify and secure the topology of their network as they move to Unified Communications (UC)
- Deliver the industry’s first software-only SBC solution, the Sonus SWe. The Sonus SWe is built on the same code base and offers the same high-end capabilities as the traditional Sonus SBC 5000 series. The Sonus SWe enables customers to deploy more SIP services in more places, more quickly than ever before possible
- Provide industry-leading multimedia interworking capabilities on the Sonus SBC 5000 series, enabling full multimedia SBC support for voice, video and collaboration. Sonus is the only vendor in the market with the ability to provide video interworking without compromising SBC performance or scale
As leader of Sonus’ business development initiatives, Scarfo has served as the appointed executive responsible for securing strategic partnerships. Further, Scarfo is responsible for Sonus’ global manufacturing function, including foundational improvements to the company’s design to production processes.
With more than 30 years of experience in telecommunications and networking, Scarfo’s career has spanned technology, channel, business development and sales roles across Polycom, Inc., ECI Telecom Ltd., Juniper Networks, Inc., Unisphere Networks, Inc., Lucent Technologies, Inc. and AT&T Inc.
"Today’s appointment of Tony Scarfo to executive vice president of Technology and Business Development reflects the unique skills he brings to a world of communications that is intertwined across different technologies and varying modes of engagement,” said Ray Dolan, president and chief executive officer. "Whether it is mobility, real-time communications, video or virtualization, Tony understands how these trends intersect and, more importantly, he can help guide Sonus to leverage these shifts to deliver a world-class portfolio."
- Sonus is the fastest growing brand of SBCs (Source: Infonetics Research, 2011 - 2012)
- Sonus is positioned in the Leaders quadrant of the "Magic Quadrant for Session Border Controllers," published October 21, 2013 by Gartner, Inc.
- Sonus was named to the 2013 InformationWeek 500 List of Top Technology Innovators in the U.S. for a second consecutive year
- Sonus was recognized by INTERNET TELEPHONY magazine and SDN Zone for exceptional innovation in Software Defined Networking
Sonus, SONS, session border controller, SBC, SWe, SBC 5000 series, Cloud communications, Software Defined Networking, Network Functions Virtualization, SDN, NFV
Sonus helps the world's leading communications service providers and enterprises embrace the next generation of SIP-based solutions including VoIP, video and Unified Communications through secure, reliable and scalable IP networks. With customers around the globe and 15 years of experience transforming networks to IP, Sonus has enabled service providers and enterprises to capture and retain users and generate significant ROI. Sonus products include session border controllers, policy/routing servers, subscriber feature servers and media and signaling gateways. Sonus products are supported by a global services team with experience in design, deployment and maintenance of some of the world's largest and most complex IP networks. For more information, visit www.sonus.net or call 1-855-GO-SONUS.
Important Information Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
The statements contained in this release and statements that Sonus may make orally in connection with this release that are not historical facts, are forward-looking statements. Actual results may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties and investors are directed to the risks discussed in documents filed by Sonus with the Securities and Exchange Commission.