CAMPBELL, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2nd quarter 2013 (2Q13) 3G and 4G Mobile Broadband Devices and Subscribers market share, size, and forecasts report.
The comprehensive report tracks over 50 mobile broadband market segments and sub-segments, including smartphones, operating systems (OS), routers, cards, USBs, embedded devices (such as tablets) and subscribers, all by the type of network they connect to, including Long Term Evolution (LTE), W-CDMA/HSPA, and other networks.
“Despite the noise surrounding LTE handsets, W-CDMA remained the biggest driver in the smartphone market in the second quarter in terms of shipments and revenue, though W-CDMA revenue was down slightly sequentially as a result of declining ARPU,” notes Richard Webb, Infonetics Research’s directing analyst for microwave and carrier WiFi.
“Lower-cost, entry-level devices based in W-CDMA in particular are growing in popularity, driven by a determined push by Chinese OEMs keen to establish a bigger market share,” Webb continues. “Also, a bigger push from leading OEMs Apple and Samsung in China and Brazil continues to drive smartphone unit growth.”
2Q13 MOBILE BROADBAND MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Globally, smartphone revenue totaled $74 billion in 2Q13, down 5% from 1Q13
- FDD-LTE devices are now the second largest smartphone segment and are expected to overtake W-CDMA in just a few years
- Sales of mobile broadband embedded tablets rose 10% sequentially in 2Q13
- Consumer demand for 3G USB mobile broadband cards is softening in developed countries, where embedded device penetration is rising
- Enterprise demand for 3G USBs remains healthy as businesses increasingly seek to mobilize their workforces without relying on WiFi availability
- Samsung retained its lead in smartphone revenue market share in 2Q13, owing to a record number of smartphone shipments (74 million units) coupled with a dip in iPhone5 sales
MOBILE SECURITY WEBINAR
Available on demand: SMS/MMS Security Strategies for Mobile Carriers, hosted by Infonetics: http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=658465&s=1&k=EF10D327D1BD7192133CEA894DA65C03
Infonetics' quarterly mobile broadband report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2017, analysis, and trends for smartphones, smartphone OS (Android, Blackberry, iPhone, Linux, Palm, Symbian, Windows Mobile, other), netbook OS (Linux, Mac, Windows, other), tablet OS (Android, iOS, Windows, other), USBs, cards, mobile broadband routers, embedded devices (PCs, netbooks, tablets, mobile internet devices), and subscribers. Companies tracked: Acer, Amazon, Apple, Dell, HTC, Huawei, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Novatel Wireless, Qualcomm, RIM, Samsung, Sierra Wireless, Sony, ZTE, and others. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
RELATED RESEARCH (http://www.infonetics.com/market-research-report-highlights.asp)
- Infonetics’ latest Mobile and Wireless research brief: http://bit.ly/1970wxq
- Peak year for macrocell mobile deployments; Huawei gets big boost
- Survey identifies operators’ LTE deployment challenges, top LTE vendors
- Tight race between Huawei, Ericsson, Cisco at top of Infonetics telecom vendor scorecard
- Service providers and enterprises to spend $1 trillion on telecom and datacom over 5 years
- WiFi tablets pressuring embedded mobile broadband card market
- Infonetics launches M2M and Connected World market research program
- Mobile M2M module segment of the M2M market hits $1.5 billion
- Mobile operators reveal plans to monetize WiFi
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH (http://www.infonetics.com/research.asp)
- Infonetics’ new 2014 Market Research Lineup
- M2M Connections and Services by Vertical (Sept.)
- Millimeter Wave Equipment (Oct.)
- 2G, 3G, 4G Mobile Infrastructure and Subscribers in Japan & China (Oct.)
- Macrocell Mobile Backhaul Equipment and Services (Oct.)
- Residential Femtocell Service Strategies and Vendor Leadership Survey (Oct.)
- Carrier WiFi Equipment (Nov.)
- Microwave Equipment - 3Q13 Edition (Nov.)
- Worldwide M2M Service Provider Leadership Scorecard (Dec.)
Visit https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events to register for upcoming webinars, view recent webinars on demand, or learn about sponsoring a webinar.
- SMS/MMS Security Strategies for Mobile Carriers (View on demand)
- Small Cells Reality Check (View on demand)
- The OTN Expansion: The Next Carrier Upgrade Cycle (View on demand)
- Microwave Small Cell Backhaul: Evaluating the Options (Nov.: Sponsorships available)
- 5G and LTE-Advanced – What You Need to Know Now (Dec.: Sponsorships available)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Midwest, L. America: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
EMEA, India, Singapore: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics’ About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.