DOWNERS GROVE, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Brevity belongs in business.
Sheffield, a boutique agency specializing in narratives and visual storytelling, today announced the launch of a new business unit, The BRIEF Lab. Managing director and founder, Joseph McCormack, also revealed the early 2014 release of his new book, BRIEF: Making a bigger impact by saying less, in partnership with business publisher John Wiley & Sons.
“Get people to tune in, or they’ll tune you out,” says McCormack. “Today, professional success means getting to the point faster and more convincingly. The book and the business build that muscle. ”
In an era of constant connectivity, non-stop interruption and relentless change, brevity is the best weapon to break through. Here is a snap shot of growing pressures that demand every professional gets better at brevity:
- The average professional receives 304 e-mails per week
- They check their smartphones 36 times an hour and 38 hours a week
- They touch more information in a day than a person did in a lifetime in 1900
- 22% of CEO’s report having absolutely no down time and spend 1/3 of their time in meetings
- They get interrupted every eight minutes, or 50-60 times a day
- It takes 20-25 minutes to regain the same level of focus present before the interruption
- The average attention span has shrunk from 12 seconds in 2000 to eight in 2012
- Attention studies reveal that the first break in attention occurs at 30 seconds, the next at five minutes and after that every two minutes
- The average professional uses 13 different methods to control or manage their time
“I want to challenge people to raise their game,” says McCormack. “Brevity is not a nicety but a non-negotiable standard to stand out when others struggle around you to be succinct.”
The BRIEF Lab offers a variety of workshops, seminars and personal coaching at its suburban Chicago and Southern Pines, NC facilities. There are also levels of certification in lean communication with courses, such as Intro to BRIEF - Art of the Elevator Speech, BRIEFings, BRIEF Management and BRIEF Media, where participants become fluent in the art of being succinct.
About The BRIEF LAB
Brevity is a language. The BRIEF Lab is a specialty institute that helps people learn this language, become fluent in it and master it. It empowers professionals to become lean communicators – helping them cultivate the discipline and decisiveness to be clear and concise when sharing vital information. The BRIEF LAB curriculum focuses on minimizing verbal waste and creating more listener value. For a full list of courses, please visit the website: http://thebrieflab.com/courses/.