DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/fdmkb5/iphone_5_mems) has announced the addition of the "iPhone 5 MEMS Microphones Knowles - Reverse Costing Analysis" report to their offering.
Apple initiated the trend of integrating three MEMS microphones with the iPhone 5. Two manufacturers compete to integrate their analog microphones, Knowles which largely dominates the MEMS microphone market (with half of the business) and AAC which is ranked No. 2 but is the main source for the iPhone5. Both components are interchangeable in the iPhone 5, thus providing similar package/functionalities/price but with two different processes.
Compared to the MEMS dies used in the previous iPhone, Knowles changed the design by integrating four transducers on the same silicon die, allowing to improve the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR).
The microphone offers a full integration of a MEMS microphone and an amplification ASIC in one package.
- The MEMS Microphone uses a free-floating diaphragm.
- The common sensing principle is capacitive.
- The component is provided in a specific 3-pins package, compatible with SMD process.
The microphone component is designed by Knowles Electronics, but both MEMS and ASIC dies production are outsourced.
This report provides a complete teardown of the MEMS microphones with:
- Detailed photos
- Material analysis
- Schematic assembly description
- Manufacturing Process Flow
- In-depth manufacturing cost analysis
- Supply chain evaluation
- Selling price estimation
Key Topics Covered
iPhone 5 Teardown
Physical Analysis Methodology
Manufacturing Process Flow
- Global Overview
- ASIC Front-End Process
- ASIC Wafer Fabrication Unit
- MEMS Process Flow
- MEMS Wafer Fabrication Unit
- Packaging Process Flow
- Package Assembly Unit
- Main steps of economic analysis
- Yields Hypotheses
- ASIC Front-End Cost
- ASIC Back-End 0 : Probe Test & Dicing
- ASIC Wafer Cost
- ASIC Die Cost
- MEMS Front-End Cost
- MEMS Back-End 0 : Probe Test & Dicing
- MEMS Front-End Cost per process steps
- MEMS Front-End: Equipment Cost per Family
- MEMS Front-End: Material Cost per Family
- MEMS Wafer Cost
- MEMS Die Cost
- Back-End : Packaging Cost
- Back-End : Packaging Cost per Process Steps
- Back-End : Final Test Cost
- Microphone Component Cost & Price
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/fdmkb5/iphone_5_mems
About Research and Markets
Research and Markets is the world's leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.