BUENOS AIRES, Argentina--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Istanbul 2020 Bid Committee today promised to make history for the Olympic Movement in its final press briefing before the bid’s presentation to the IOC Session in Buenos Aires tomorrow.
Bid Chairman, Hasan Arat, promised that Istanbul 2020 will be:
- The first Games ever staged in Turkey: a brand new culture in a brand new part of the world for the Olympic Movement.
- The first Games ever staged across two continents simultaneously, Asia and Europe.
- The first Games ever staged in a predominantly Muslim nation.
- The first Games ever staged in a country where nearly half the population is under 25.
- The first Games ever with an Olympic Law, OCOG structure, delivery partner and guaranteed government funding in place from day one.
Speaking to local and international media Hasan Arat said:
“Istanbul 2020 will be held against the backdrop of one of the most magical cities on the planet: a bridge between continents, cultures and generations for thousands of years. Istanbul 2020 will put athletes and the Games at the centre of the most spectacular stage in Olympic history.
“This is a new bid for a new Turkey. Now, after a decade of economic growth, and with the full support of the government, the private sector, and the people of Turkey, we are ready to start turning our 20-year Olympic dream into a reality.
“With our 50 Young Ambassadors leading our delegation tomorrow morning right alongside our Prime Minister, we are optimistic that the IOC will choose to make history with Istanbul 2020.”
Notes to Editors:
Access to Istanbul 2020 videos, photographs and press releases are available on the FTP website. Please see login details below:
For more information, please contact the Istanbul 2020 media team:
Valerie von Eberhardt
+32 478 58 60 05
Alternatively, find us online at www.istanbul2020.com.tr
on Twitter: @2020_istanbul
or on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Istanbul2020