OAKVILLE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Perhaps no other name is more synonymous with the American wine industry than Robert Mondavi. With June 18, 2013, marking the 100th anniversary of his birth, wine, food, and art enthusiasts alike can appreciate his role in shaping the American wine industry. In light of this special milestone, Robert Mondavi Winery will be hosting a number of events and activities throughout the month of June that commemorate Mr. Mondavi's role as the world's leading innovator, producer and marketer of California wine.
“I’m delighted to honor Bob’s birthday by bringing friends and family together through a series of celebrations that encompass food, wine and the arts,” said Margrit Mondavi, Vice President of Cultural Affairs for Robert Mondavi Winery. “Whether dancing at a concert in his beloved To Kalon Vineyard or raising a glass of Fume Blanc in his name, we look forward to honoring this significant milestone in Napa Valley history both at the winery and beyond.”
Robert Mondavi birthday celebrations and commemorations include:
- Public toast: On Tuesday, June 18, Robert Mondavi Winery will host a public toast at noon P.S.T. Margrit Mondavi, Vice President of Cultural Affairs at Robert Mondavi Winery and Genevieve Janssens, Director of Winemaking, will lead the toast, and guests will receive a glass of Robert Mondavi Winery Napa Valley Fume Blanc, cupcakes, and a commemorative printed booklet. Those unable to attend the toast can share their well-wishes by adding the #Mondavi100 hashtag to images and Tweets and by going to the Robert Mondavi Winery Facebook page.
- Robert’s Block naming ceremony: Following the toast and in honor of Mr. Mondavi and his love of the To Kalon Vineyard, on Tuesday, June 18, the winery will rename one of the best blocks of the vineyard, ‘Robert’s Block,’ in a small private ceremony.
- Cent’anni performance at Summer Concert: Pandora Presents: Martina McBride – One Night 2013 on Saturday, June 29, the “Cent’anni” performance and fireworks show kicks off the 44th annual festival with a special performance to honor Mr. Mondavi’s birthday.
- Frank Pollaro Centenary Table: The winery has paired with celebrated American furniture artist Frank Pollaro to produce a Robert Mondavi Centenary Table, which is hand-crafted with aged Northern California Claro walnut and represents Robert Mondavi’s lifelong pursuit for gracious living through the enjoyment of food and wine. The table will be unveiled in its permanent location in the Vineyard Room in time for the June 18th celebration. It will become the centerpiece of winery events for years to come and serve as the model for a limited-edition series of five dining room tables that will be for sale.
- Commemorative Riedel Decanter: One hundred limited-edition commemorative Riedel decanters featuring the artwork of Margrit Mondavi will be on sale to guests of the winery and online in the month of June.
In 1966, Robert Mondavi established the Robert Mondavi Winery at the age of 53 – the first of its kind in the Napa Valley since the 1933 repeal of Prohibition. It was during this time that Robert Mondavi pioneered many fine winemaking techniques in California, including cold fermentation, stainless steel tanks and the use of French oak barrels.
As a marketing leader, he initiated blind tastings of Napa Valley wines with other world-class wines, allowing consumers and the trade to evaluate wine value and quality. Robert Mondavi also introduced wine tastings and tours to the winery, demonstrating his dedication to encouraging a wine culture in America.
In addition to Robert Mondavi Winery in the Napa Valley, he also launched Robert Mondavi Private Selection and Woodbridge by Robert Mondavi. In 1979, he founded Woodbridge Winery near his boyhood home in Lodi, California. Having grown up there, Robert Mondavi appreciated that the Lodi region was capable of producing quality wines of exceptional value. In the 1990s, his visionary pursuit of great California wines led him to the Central Coast, when he sourced grapes from the Bianchi Bench Vineyard in the Santa Lucia Highlands region of Monterey County and the Pine Creek Vineyard in Paso Robles. These premier vineyards formed the foundation for Robert Mondavi’s original line of coastal wines and then Robert Mondavi Private Selection in 1994.
Robert Mondavi remained an active ambassador for the winery into his nineties alongside his wife, Margrit. Though he passed away peacefully at home on May 16, 2008, at the age of 94, his contributions to the wine industry continue to be seen and felt throughout the Napa Valley and beyond.
Robert Mondavi Winery is located at 7801 St. Helena Highway, Oakville, CA 94562. For additional information regarding the winery and Robert Mondavi Winery wines, please visit www.robertmondaviwinery.com.
About Robert Mondavi Winery
Founded in 1966, Robert Mondavi Winery is the shining symbol of California’s Napa Valley. The first major winery built in Napa Valley in the three decades since the repeal of Prohibition, Robert Mondavi Winery went on to establish the foundation for the modern-day California wine industry. Nearly fifty years later, June 18, 2013 marks the 100th birthday of Robert Mondavi. With the philosophy that great wines reflect their origins, Robert Mondavi Winery continues to pursue the fullest expression of the terroir of Napa Valley. For additional information about Robert Mondavi Winery visit www.robertmondaviwinery.com.