DUBLIN--(http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/xk9n5z/alcon_medical) has announced the addition of the "Alcon Medical Device Company Intelligence Report" report to their offering.)--Research and Markets (
Incorporated in 1947, Alcon is headquartered in Hunenberg, Switzerland, where it develops, manufactures and markets eye care products in over 180 countries. In April 2011, Alcon was merged into Novartis. As a result, Alcon became Novartis' ophthalmic division and CIBA Vision became part of Alcon.
Alcon's eyecare products include ophthalmic surgical equipment and devices designed for cataract, vitreoretinal, refractive and glaucoma surgery; pharmaceutical products for the treatment of glaucoma, eye infections, inflammation and allergies; and consumer vision care products, which include artificial tears, contact lens care solutions, ocular nutrition and now Novartis' CIBA Vision. Alcon's generic division, Falcon, was merged in Novartis' generic business unit, Sandoz, as a result of the April 2011 acquisition. This report focuses on the company's surgical products business.
Collectively, Alcon and Novartis claim more than 70 per cent of the worldwide vision care sector. Novartis also has long-standing activities in contact lenses, a sector in which Alcon is not active, and a complementary ophthalmic pharmaceuticals portfolio.
Since Novartis' acquisition of Alcon, total revenues have increased significantly, totalling US$9,958 million for the year ended 31st December 2011, an increase of 38.7 per cent over the previous year. The addition of the CIBA Vision business unit to Alcon's consumer eyecare unit and some of Novartis' eyecare pharmaceuticals to Alcon's product portfolio has boosted revenue. Strong growth in pharmaceuticals and surgical products contributed to the large increase.
According to Novartis Alcon's growth in the US has slowed, while emerging markets are posting strong growth for the company. Sales in Novartis' top six emerging markets grew by 26 per cent in 2011, on a pro forma basis, led by growth in China and India.
The integration into Novartis has improved Alcon's performance significantly. With a number of acquisitions by Alcon, new product launches throughout 2011 and 2012 and a robust pipeline, Alcon's prospects in the medium- to long-term look promising.
- Key contact information
- Introduction to the company and its current activities
- Summary of its financial performance
- Who are the company's major competitors?
- Key recent events in an at a glance format
- Current year and annual financial data, including revenue breakdowns by product area and geographic region (if available)
- Table providing in-depth five-year financial analysis
- Employee data, including breakdown by company division and geographic location
Investigates the company's aims and its areas of focus
Core product areas, key brands, product approvals and launches
Research and Development
- How much has been invested in R&D?
- Where is the research based?
- What alliances and agreements does the company have and with whom?
Manufacturing and Distribution
- Identifying the company's manufacturing locations
- Sales and marketing facilities
- With whom has the company reached agreements and what do they involve?
- Key contracts awarded
Mergers, Acquisitions, Minority Investments and Divestments
Key Corporate Events
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/xk9n5z/alcon_medical