ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Answers, the world’s top destination for trusted answers to everyday questions, announced today the most popular questions related to the National Football League’s Super Bowl. With Super Bowl XLVII coming up on Sunday, Answers provides the best answers to the top questions on Super Bowl winners, losers, coaches and teams, and specific questions related to this year’s contenders, the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers.
"We’ve been seeing a surge in the number of Super Bowl-related questions, making Answers one of the most popular destinations among leading sport sites for all answers,” said Jim Yang, VP of Products & Community at Answers. “Answers serves more than 130 million visitors each month that have access to more than 18 billion answers, and we invite sports fans and other users to turn to Answers to ask or answer a Super Bowl-related question to expand this knowledge platform.”
Popular 2013 Super Bowl Questions
Answer: As of the end of the 2012-13 season, 14 NFL teams have never won a Super Bowl. There are 10 teams that have been to the Super Bowl (in years shown) but lost each time:
- Minnesota Vikings (0-4) 1970, 1974, 1975, 1977
- Buffalo Bills (0-4) consecutively 1991-1994
- Cincinnati Bengals (0-2) 1982, 1989
- Philadelphia Eagles (0-2) 1981, 2005
- San Diego Chargers (0-1) 1995
- Atlanta Falcons (0-1) 1999
- Tennessee Titans (0-1) 2000
- Carolina Panthers (0-1) 2004
- Seattle Seahawks (0-1) 2006
- Arizona Cardinals (0-1) 2009
There are 4 Teams that have never played in a Super Bowl:
- Cleveland Browns
- Detroit Lions
- Houston Texans
- Jacksonville Jaguars
Answer: The first Super Bowl game played in 1967 was known as the 'AFL-NFL World Championship Game'. Lamar Hunt, founder of the American Football League and owner of the Kansas City Chiefs from 1960 until his death in 2006, first suggested the name 'Super Bowl' based on the 'Super Ball' toy his children had been playing with. He initially suggested it as a temporary name until a better name could be determined. It wasn’t until Super Bowl III in 1969 when the championship game became officially known as the Super Bowl.
Answer: No, an NFL player does not have to play in the Super Bowl to get a Super Bowl ring. In fact, he doesn't even have to be on the active roster of the winning team. The NFL allots 150 rings for the winning team to distribute as it wishes. Also, the winning team often purchases more rings to distribute to people beyond the 150 allotment. These rings are mementos of the Super Bowl win and typically include the team name, year, Super Bowl number, player name, and uniform number.
Answer: John Elway of the Denver Broncos was the first quarterback to start five Super Bowls. His record in those games was 2-3.
- Super Bowl XXI (Jan 25, 1987): NY Giants 39 - Denver Broncos 20
- Super Bowl XXII (Jan 31, 1988): Washington Redskins 42 - Denver Broncos 10
- Super Bowl XXIV (Jan 28, 1990): SF 49ers 55 - Denver Broncos 10
- Super Bowl XXXII (Jan 25, 1998): Denver Broncos 31 - Green Bay Packers 24
- Super Bowl XXXIII (Jan 31, 1999): Denver Broncos 34 - Atlanta Falcons 19
More recently, Tom Brady of the New England Patriots has also started five Super Bowls. His record in those games is 3-2.
- Super Bowl XXXVI (Feb 3, 2002): NE Patriots 20 - St Louis Rams 17
- Super Bowl XXXVIII (Feb 1, 2004): NE Patriots 32 - Carolina Panthers 29
- Super Bowl XXXIX (Feb 2, 2005): NE Patriots 24 - Philadelphia Eagles 21
- Super Bowl XLII (Feb 3, 2008): NY Giants 17 - NE Patriots 17
- Super Bowl XLVI (Feb 5, 2012): NY Giants 21 - NE Patriots 17
Answer: The Pittsburgh Steelers have won the most Super Bowls, winning six in eight appearances. In second place with five Super Bowl wins are the San Francisco 49ers (in five appearances) and Dallas Cowboys (in eight appearances).
Here are the Steelers' results (victories in bold):
- Super Bowl IX (1-12-75) -- Pittsburgh 16, Minnesota Vikings 6.
- Super Bowl X (1-18-76) -- Pittsburgh 21, Dallas Cowboys 17.
- Super Bowl XIII (1-21-79) -- Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31.
- Super Bowl XIV (1-20-80) -- Pittsburgh 31, Los Angeles Rams 19.
- Super Bowl XXX (1-28-96) -- Dallas 27, Pittsburgh 17.
- Super Bowl XL (2-5-06) -- Pittsburgh 21, Seattle Seahawks 10.
- Super Bowl XLIII (2-1-09) -- Pittsburgh 27, Arizona Cardinals 23.
- Super Bowl XLV (2-6-11) -- Green Bay 31, Pittsburgh 25
Answer: Through Super Bowl XLVI, there are four teams that have never played in a Super Bowl. The oldest of these teams is the Detroit Lions, whose first season in the NFL was 1930.
In order of age, these teams are:
- Detroit Lions - entered the NFL in 1930 as the Portsmouth Spartans.
- Jacksonville Jaguars - entered the NFL in 1995.
- Cleveland Browns - entered the NFL as an expansion team in 1999. The original Browns (now the Baltimore Ravens) entered the NFL in 1950 and played in Cleveland through the 1995 season. These original Browns never played in the Super Bowl.
- Houston Texans - entered the NFL in 2002.
Answer: The University of Arizona and The University of Michigan Marching Bands played the National Anthem at the first AFL-NFL World Championship Game (aka Super Bowl I) in Los Angeles in 1967. The first soloist to perform the National Anthem was Anita Bryant, who sang the anthem in Super Bowl III in Miami in 1969.
Answer: Mike Ditka. As a Dallas Cowboy tight end in Super Bowl VI, he scored a touchdown as the Cowboys beat the Miami Dolphins by a score of 24-3. As the head coach of the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl XX, he led the Bears to a victory over the New England Patriots by a score of 46-10. Ditka is now in the NFL Hall of Fame and a football commentator.
Answer: A total of nine wild card teams in NFL history have made it to the Super Bowl, with five of them going on to win the Super Bowl.
- 1975 Dallas Cowboys (lost to Pittsburgh 21-17 in Super Bowl X)
- 1980 Oakland Raiders (beat Philadelphia 27-10 in Super Bowl XV)
- 1985 New England Patriots (lost to Chicago 46-10 in Super Bowl XX)
- 1992 Buffalo Bills (lost to Dallas 52-17 in Super Bowl XXVII)1997 Denver Broncos (beat Green Bay 31-24 in Super Bowl XXXII)
- 1999 Tennessee Titans (lost to St. Louis 23-16 in Super Bowl XXXIV)
- 2000 Baltimore Ravens (beat New York Giants 34-7 in Super Bowl XXXV)
- 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers (beat Seattle 21-10 in Super Bowl XL)
- 2007 New York Giants (beat New England 17-14 in Super Bowl XLII)
Answer: Since the team's creation in 1996, the Baltimore Ravens have played in one Super Bowl. They played in Super Bowl XXXV following the 2000 season, and they beat the New York Giants by a score of 34-7. They are slated to play in Super Bowl XLVI on February 3, 2013 in New Orleans, LA against the San Francisco 49ers, who will be making their sixth Super Bowl appearance.
Answer: The San Francisco 49ers have played in five Super Bowls and won all of them. They are scheduled to play in Super Bowl XLVII on 2-3-13 against the Baltimore Ravens.
Here are the results (victories in bold):
- Super Bowl XVI (1-24-82) -- San Francisco 26, Cincinnati Bengals 21.
- Super Bowl XIX (1-20-85) -- San Francisco 38, Miami Dolphins 16.
- Super Bowl XXIII (1-22-89) -- San Francisco 20, Cincinnati 16.
- Super Bowl XXIV (1-28-90) -- San Francisco 55, Denver Broncos 10.
- Super Bowl XXIX (1-29-95) -- San Francisco 49, San Diego Chargers 26.
Answers’ powerful search engine leverages the wisdom of crowds and the knowledge of friends to find the best answers to all of your questions. It combines insights from its large community of users and from a user’s social media contacts and “friends.” For more information and to join the Super Bowl conversation, please visit, www.answers.com
Established in 1998, Answers is the industry’s top destination for Q&A content (source: Quantcast). One-third of all U.S. Internet users regularly visit Answers.com for information on virtually everything. The Answers platform integrates and surfaces the best content from subject matter experts, community members, social networks, and Internet databases to create the most multidimensional resource on the Web. Answers content is available everywhere: on the web, mobile, and social networks. The Answers platform has over 17 billion answers, which is 10 billion more than its closest competitor. It is also home to a community of 180 million users, with an estimated 10,000 new registered users per hour. For more information about Answers, please visit www.answers.com.