BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The spring issue of Disney twenty-three, the flagship magazine of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, hits stands February 12, loaded with articles to delight both Disney fans and the general public. The cover story, “A Great and Powerful Odyssey,” gives readers an exclusive tour of the land at the end of the road of yellow bricks in Disney’s Oz The Great and Powerful releasing in theaters this March. The article features interviews with stars Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Zach Braff. In addition, there’s a sneak peek of 2014’s Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie, which offers a new take on the legendary Sleeping Beauty story.
The Emerald City theme continues with a second story illuminating the many connections between Disney and Oz, including Walt Disney’s early attempts to bring Oz to the big screen. The story includes rarely seen images from the Walt Disney Archives and a fond look back at Disney’s 1985 release Return to Oz.
In celebration of the 15th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, we sit down with Imagineer Joe Rohde as he reflects on the evolution of Disney’s wildest and most spiritual park.
“Frozen in Time” includes concept art from the upcoming film Frozen, due in theaters this November. Walt Disney Animation Studios brings an ice-covered world to life as Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell) seeks to reverse a curse put on her kingdom by a cold-hearted snow queen (voiced by Idina Menzel), who also happens to be her sister.
Disney twenty-three also offers the latest on exciting new projects from the world of Disney and a look at some celebrated classics. The spring issue:
- Celebrates the 30th anniversary of Disney Channel from the original show Good Morning Mickey through the High School Musical trilogy;
- Reveals the secrets and hidden delights to look out for when exploring New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom;
- Catches up with Bob Baker, a legendary Los Angeles puppeteer whose exquisite artistry is threaded throughout Disney history;
- Tells the story of master glass craftsmen, the Arribas brothers, who now have art in 14 (and counting) different Disney park locations around the globe.
The Disney discoveries do not stop at the end of the publication this spring. In conjunction with the release of this spring issue of Disney twenty-three on February 12, www.D23.com will feature original and exclusive stories that complement the contents of D23’s glossy magazine. Only available on D23.com:
- An exclusive Q&A with Brian Henson about his first film, Return to Oz;
- An off-road tour of Kilimanjaro Safaris with the head zookeeper in celebration of Disney’s Animal Kingdom's 15th anniversary;
- An in-depth look at Disney Channel’s schedule, stars, and shows and an exclusive look back at the first day of programming as the Channel turns 30.
Disney twenty-three is delivered directly to the doorstep of all D23 Gold Members, along with a special gift. The gifts for this issue are reproductions of vintage Disney Valentine's Day cards, which will be attached exclusively to member issues. This special gift will be received by members just in time for Valentine’s Day.
Beginning February 12, Disney twenty-three magazine will be available at retail locations across the country for $15.95, and can also be purchased online at DisneyStore.com and throughout the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts.
D23: The Official Disney Fan Club celebrates the remarkable past, present, and future of Disney, taking its name from 1923, the year Walt Disney founded his world-famous company. D23 brings its members a host of exclusive benefits, including a weekly e-mail newsletter; an array of discounts and special offers; and exclusive, member-only special events.
Disney fans can join the world’s only Official Disney Fan Club by visiting www.D23.com or select shops at the Disneyland® Resort, the Walt Disney World® Resort and www.DisneyStore.com/D23. To keep up with all the latest D23 news and events, follow “DisneyD23” on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
For images, logos and press releases, please visit D23.com/Media.