DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/tlr858/orphan_drugs) has announced the addition of the "Orphan Drugs: Market Environment Products and Companies" report to their offering.
For the pharma and diagnostic industries, rare diseases can provide significant commercial success. Examples of blockbuster orphan drugs include Novartis' leukaemia drug, Glivec/Gleevec (imatinib), with global sales of US$4,695 million in 2011; and Actelion's Tracleer (bosentan), the current gold standard in pulmonary arterial hypertension with sales of CHF1,522 million (US$1,598 million) in 2011.
The combination of government incentives to develop drugs for rare diseases and the promise of commercial opportunity will continue to fuel the industry's interest in orphan drugs; and provide hope to patients with debilitating conditions and high unmet medical needs. In addition, the fast track approval system allows companies to enter the market faster and more cost-effectively with the potential to extend indications.
A comprehensive overview of orphan drugs and their strategic importance is provided in this valuable new report
- Market conditions: provides an analysis of the orphan drug market, detailing the drivers for recent growth, prevalence and scientific advances
- Regulatory landscape: provides an in-depth analysis of current regulations in major markets (US, EU, Australia and Japan) along with pricing and reimbursement information and orphan drug approvals
- Company activity: summarises leading and emerging companies and their established orphan drug products and pipelines
- Targeted diseases: summarises diseases being targeted such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, leukaemia and pulmonary hypertension
- Research: innovative areas of research such as antisense therapy, gene therapy, and cellular therapy in which orphan drugs are playing a key role.
Reasons To Buy
Use this insightful report to...
- Identify why the orphan drug sector is currently undergoing high levels of growth
- Discuss the regulatory and legislative support for orphan drug development and its impact on growth within the sector
- Learn which companies are well established within the orphan drug space, which are emerging and what their pipelines look like
- Discover which companies are forming alliances with large pharma to help develop their orphan drug pipelines
- Analyse the orphan drug market now and in the future, exploring challenges particular to this sector
This comprehensive report incorporates thought-provoking commentary from industry and regulatory experts.
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/tlr858/orphan_drugs