FLORENCE, Ala.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Americans use more than six times the amount of fireworks now than they did less than 40 years ago. In that same time period, fireworks-related injuries in the United States have plummeted, according to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission.
“As we ring in 2013 with fireworks and sparklers, the following safety tips from the American Pyrotechnics Association can help us safely celebrate the New Year’s holiday,” says Sherri Fallin, spokesperson for TNT Fireworks East.
- TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Always keep a hose and a bucket of water nearby in case of emergencies.
- LIGHT ONE AT A TIME. NEVER light two or more fireworks or sparklers at the same time.
- KEEP IT OUTSIDE. Only use fireworks and sparklers outdoors on flat, hard surfaces in clear areas and away from houses, buildings and dry grass.
- HAVE ADULT SUPERVISION. NEVER allow young children to light or handle fireworks or sparklers. Be aware of the minimum permitted age in your state. Adults should always be present when lighting or handling fireworks or sparklers.
- STAY ALERT. NEVER mix alcohol or other substances with fireworks or sparklers.
- STAY CLEAR. NEVER hold a lit firework in your hand. Keep as far from them as possible when lighting.
- LET SLEEPING FIREWORKS LIE. NEVER try to relight fireworks or sparklers that do not ignite. Wait 15 to 20 minutes before approaching them, then soak them with water and throw them away.
- PROTECT YOUR PETS. Animals are often frightened by the sounds of fireworks. Protect your “best friends” by keeping them indoors, secure and away from the loud, sudden noises.
Always check local and state laws, and only purchase fireworks and sparklers permitted by law. Also, check the label and instructions on fireworks and sparklers to ensure they come from a reliable, legal and licensed source.
ABOUT TNT FIREWORKS
TNT® Fireworks (TNT) is the nation’s largest distributor of consumer fireworks and sparklers. For more than 50 years, TNT has set the benchmark for safety, customer satisfaction, innovation and quality in the fireworks industry. For more information about TNT Fireworks, visit www.tntfireworks.com.