LOS ANGELES--(NIRI Los Angeles, in conjunction with the Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals Southern California Chapter, are pleased to offer an educational program for investor relations professionals and corporate secretaries on Monday, January 7th. A panel of governance experts will be discussing trends in corporate governance and disclosure for the upcoming 2013 proxy season.)--
- Stephen Cooke, partner at Paul Hastings. Mr. Cooke is chair of the Corporate practice in the firm’s Orange County office and is a member of the firm’s Securities and Capital Markets, Private Equity and Mergers and Acquisitions practice groups. He concentrates his practice in securities and corporate law. He regularly advises boards of directors of public and private companies regarding corporate governance issues, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
- Rhonda Brauer, senior managing director – corporate governance at Georgeson, the proxy solicitation firm. Ms. Brauer focuses on helping companies to enhance communications with their shareholders and third-party opinion-makers and to analyze their governance practices in light of the current corporate governance landscape and their own business developments. In addition, she helps clients to obtain their desired shareholder votes on director elections, proxy contests, shareholder proposals, equity compensation plans and other corporate governance matters.
- Randy Clark, vice president corporate responsibility and corporate secretary for Sempra Energy. Mr. Clark oversees political reporting compliance and corporate sustainability and responsibility. He also acts as chief governance officer and corporate secretary, coordinating and recording all meetings of the board of directors and its committees, serving as a liaison between the directors and the chief executive officer of the company and overseeing corporate governance and corporate structuring for the company.
- Julie MacMedan, vice president, investor relations for Demand Media. Ms. MacMedan is a senior executive with more than 20 years of experience in strategic financial and communications roles. Prior to joining Demand Media she was vice president of investor relations and corporate communications at interactive entertainment company, THQ Inc. Previously she was a vice president with PondelWilkinson Inc., a Los Angeles based corporate and investor relations consulting firm. Ms. MacMedan joined PondelWilkinson after a multi-year career with NASDAQ OMX, where she served as a director of market services.
- Moderator: Linda Peterson, associate general counsel and assistant secretary of Occidental Petroleum. Since joining Occidental in 1989, Ms. Peterson has handled general corporate matters, mergers and acquisitions, finance, securities, and employment and benefit matters. In recent years, she has spent a significant portion of time on governance issues, and was a member of the team that negotiated Occidental’s Human Rights Policy with stockholder proponents.
This outstanding program is open to the public and is scheduled for Monday, January 7th from 3:30pm - 4:30pm at Loew’s Santa Monica Beach Hotel. Registration begins at 3:00pm. There is a cocktail reception afterward followed by dinner with NIRI president, Jeff Morgan. The event is sponsored by Labrador, Wells Fargo and Georgeson. Pre-registration is encouraged and available by going to NIRILA or the Society of Corporate Secretaries & Governance Professionals Southern California Chapter.
About NIRI Los Angeles:
NIRI Los Angeles is the LA Chapter of NIRI, the largest professional investor relations association in the world with more than 3,500 members that represent 2,000 publicly held companies and $5.4 trillion in stock market capitalization. Click here to learn more about NIRI: http://www.niri.org. The LA Chapter is comprised of IR practitioners from public companies, consulting firms and associated service providers in the Los Angeles area. NIRI LA promotes and educates members on the strategic management responsibility of Investor Relations, which integrates finance, communication, marketing and securities law compliance to enable the most effective two-way communication between a company, the financial community, and other constituencies. Additional information about NIRI LA can be found at http://www.nirila.org
About Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals:
Founded in 1946, the Society of Corporate Secretaries and Governance Professionals, Inc. (the "Society") is a non-profit organization (Section 501(c)(6)) comprised principally of corporate secretaries and business executives in governance, ethics and compliance functions at public, private and not-for-profit organizations. Members are responsible for supporting their board of directors and executive management in matters such as board practices, compliance, regulation and legal matters, shareholder relations and subsidiary management. Additional information about the Society can be found at http://main.governanceprofessionals.org/GOVERNANCEPROFESSIONALS/Home/