NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Lia Griffith of Portland, Ore., creative director at Ellinée, an online stationery store, was crowned the 2012 “Scotch Brand Most Gifted Wrapper” in a national gift wrapping contest sponsored by 3M, the maker of Scotch Brand Tape. Griffith out-wrapped seven other amateur and professional gift wrappers to win the ultimate holiday present—a $10,000 cash prize— at Celsius at Bryant Park in New York City.
About the contest:
Finalists wrapped odd-shaped gifts in three rounds during the contest:
- Round 1: oversized rubber duck and a board game
- Round 2: tuba
- Round 3: giant model airplane with an eight-foot wingspan
- The contestants were judged on two criteria: appearance of the wrapped gifts and the technique used to wrap the gifts; in the event of a tie, speed was the tie-breaker.
- Griffith, along with seven other gifted wrappers, was selected to participate in the contest based on a brief entry video that illustrated her talent and experience in the art of gift wrapping.
About the first runner-up and other contestants:
- The first runner-up, Shelly Dozier-McKee, an interior designer at ConfettiStyle Interiors in Atlanta, Ga. received a $2,500 cash prize.
The following six contestants also received smaller cash prizes:
- Michelle Beshaw from Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Shasta Garcia from San Francisco, Calif.
- Brenda Guerrero, manager at Papyrus, from Winnetka, Calif.
- Carol Masiclat, owner of Jolie Colis gift wrapping, from Fayetteville, N.Y.
- Michelle Noe, co-owner of Playthings Toy Shoppe, from Louisville, Ky.
- Sheryl Oberman, owner of Stationery Station, from Highland Park, Ill.
About the judging panel:
The judging panel consisted of three gift wrapping experts:
- Mark Ski, former producer for Martha Stewart Living.
- Evette Rios, craft and design expert, as well as former co-host and designer for Freestyle on HGTV. (Bi-lingual in English and Spanish).
- Laurin Sydney, lifestyle expert and author of the gift wrapping book Why Bother? Why Not?
Visit MostGiftedWrapper.com/media for photos and video from the contest.
Twittercue: Gifted wrapper @LiaGriffith wins $10k in @ScotchProducts #MostGiftedWrapper Contest! http://bit.ly/hSSgho #giftwrap #tape
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs 84,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 65 countries. For more information, visit http://www.3M.com or follow @3MNews on Twitter.
3M, Scotch and the Plaid Design are trademarks of 3M. ©3M 2012
- Quote 1: Lia Griffith, 2012 Scotch Brand Most Gifted Wrapper winner, offers this quick tip for gift wrapping: “Use materials for gift wrapping in an unexpected way. Look around you and you’ll find inspiration everywhere!”
- Quote 2: Mark Ski, 2012 Scotch Brand Most Gifted Wrapper Contest judge, “The large model airplane in the final round of the contest posed to be quite a challenge, but the contestants really brought their creativity to the table and wowed us with their technique, originality and enthusiasm.”